Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

How to search for Ipv6 IP address and find the network

4762     0

1) When you create an IPv4 network in IPAM view, all the IP addresses in that network are created as objects by Infoblox.

2) When you create an IPv6 network in IPAM view, the individual addresses in that network are NOT created  as objects by Infoblox (probably to reduce the HUGE number of objects that could get created by a v6 network)

Using a WAPI call, I can always find the network or network container for an IPv4 address because the Ipv4 address object is always there.

But doing the same thing on a v6 address will not work because the v6 address object doesn't exist.

How do I find the network or network container for an IPv6 address that doesn't exist as an object using WAPI?  The actual v6 network object might not be there, but using the GUI I can still find the network and network container.  Look at the attached image.  How do I do this using the WAPI?SearchingForIpv6Address.JPG

Ex:  If I have a v6 network 1234:abcd:1234:abcd::/64, the IP address 1234:abcd:1234:abcd::1111 belongs to this network but there is no object of this IP address in Infoblox.  But, I can click on the main spyglass in the GUI, search for IP address "begins with" 1234:abcd:1234:abcd::1111 and get the network that this belongs to. 

How do I do this using WAPI?  If the GUI can do it, I should be able to do this via WAPI, but I can't find anything in the documentation that would allow me to do this? 

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to search for Ipv6 IP address and find the network

4763     0

For searching ipv6 networks, Your api call should be <apiurl>/wapi/v2.7.3/ipv6network?network~=2001:41f0:d201::/48

Re: How to search for Ipv6 IP address and find the network

4763     0

@aloy wrote:

For searching ipv6 networks, Your api call should be <apiurl>/wapi/v2.7.3/ipv6network?network~=2001:41f0:d201::/48

Aloy, thanks for the reply, but this is NOT the right answer.  You are searching for a v6 network using the network itself.  I am going from a single IP address and trying to find the network that this IP address belongs to.  Using your example, say I have an IP address (one of 65,536 in a /48 network)  2001:41f0:d201:bbbb:1111::3333 and I want Infoblox to return the 2001:41f0:d201::/48 network

The correct answer is to pass in a different parameter called "contains_address" and making an api call like this <apiurl>/wapi/v2.9/ipv6network?contains_address=2001:41f0:d201:bbbb:1111::3333

thanks,

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin