Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

"Too much networks requested" when requesting more than 20 free addresses

[ Edited ]
Techie
2261     0

Hello,
 if there a particular reason why one would get this error :

IBDataError: IB.Data:Too much networks requested, maximum is 20

when requesting via function next_available_network @{num = 20; cidr = 24 } in a big network ?
Is there a reason for this limitation ? Is there some workaround if one wants more networks than 20 ? What would be the best way to solve it?

If i have to request let's say 128 networks, i would have to do in this case

foreach ($a in 1..[math]::floor(128/20)){ "request 20 and allocate" }"request "+128%20
request 20 and allocate
request 20 and allocate
request 20 and allocate
request 20 and allocate
request 20 and allocate
request 20 and allocate
request 8

But then again why can't i just ask for 128 networks ? 

This way is 'weird' so to say. I mean , this is not asking for 128 free networks with the function, this is actually making 128 networks. As i create 20 , and then ask for next free 20 networks. It is not possible to ask for more than 20 'easily'. 

Re: "Too much networks requested" when requesting more than 20 free addresses

Adviser
2262     0

Confirmed on NIOS 8.5.1. The next_available_network function appears to have a hard coded yet undocumented limit for the "num" parameter of 20.

POST https://<gm>/wapi/v2.11.1/network/<refid>?_function=next_available_network
with body {"cidr": 24, "num": 21}
results in
{ "Error": "AdmConDataError: None (IBDataError: IB.Data:Too much networks requested, maximum is 20)", "code": "Client.Ibap.Data", "text": "Too much networks requested, maximum is 20" }

Ignoring the "much"/"many" grammar mistake, this seems like an arbitrarily low limit. Networks, particularly in IPv6, can be pretty big. Anyone know why it has a limit at all? And if for whatever reason the limit can't be removed, it would also be nice if it were documented in the WAPI docs instead of just the error message.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin