Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

API & Integration

Highlighted

API testing environment (TestDrive not working)

Techie
2079     0

Hello!

I'm working on a plugin that integrates with Infoblox API. I have not used Infoblox before, but there seems to be no way of setting up an account for tests. I've tried the following options:

- TestDrive: when I click "Launch", the process takes around 4 minutes (not 18), and ends with an email without any credentials (no errors are displayed in the "Output" console, it is just cleaned at some point)

- buying Infoblox NIOS TE-V1420 offers DNS, Visibility and IPAM automation on AWS: the instance passes 1 of 2 check (still investigating it), there is a public IP address available, but I haven't been able to connect with it (either using ssh with AWS credentials or calling Infoblox API using that address).

The thing I'm trying to achieve is to be able to use some of these API calls:

https://community.infoblox.com/t5/API-Integration/The-definitive-list-of-REST-examples/td-p/1214

I know there is a virtual machine available for a 60-day trial, but the setup will be complicated and long. I just want to try some API calls for the purpose of plugin development.

Is there any option to create a test account? Is there a known solution for the TestDrive problem? I'll be grateful for any hints.

Highlighted

Re: API testing environment (TestDrive not working)

Community Manager
Community Manager
2080     0

Infoblox provides a number of plugins and are free to Infoblox customers. Is there a particular integration that you are looking for?

Regards,

Tony

Highlighted

Techie
2080     0

This is a new service, and the plugin has to be created. Since the API documentation is available, I thought there will be no problem (using Python's requests should do). But the lack of a public API URL or a test environment makes this task very difficult.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
2080     0

I would probably recommend requesting an evaluation (https://www.infoblox.com/infoblox-download-center/) and possibly look into establishing a partnership to get access to additional resources. The test drive option is not intended for this type of use but deploying an Infoblox appliance is pretty straightforward. If you use VMware in your environment, you can download the ova and launch that. The only configuration that you would need to do is assign an IP address (if it can't pull one using DHCP) and temporary license keys (using the set temp_license command). There is nothing else required to gain API access to the appliance, just use the default credentials and you are ready to go.

Regards,

Tony

Highlighted

Techie
2080     0

Thank you Tony! VM setup wasn't as complicated as I expected. I was able to call the API on my local instance using the credentials admin:infoblox, although the VM occasionally crashes my computer (probably not enought RAM). However, when I tried to add a new host, I've run into some problems. The request looked like this:

curl -k -u admin:infoblox -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://192.168.1.2/wapi/v1.2/record:host -d '{"name":"wapi.test.org", "ipv4addrs":[{"ipv4addr":"1.1.1.21"}]}'

The response was:

{ "Error": "AdmConDataError: None (IBDataConflictError: IB.Data.Conflict:The action is not allowed. A parent was not found.)", 
  "code": "Client.Ibap.Data.Conflict", 
  "text": "The action is not allowed. A parent was not found."
}

I have finished the Wizard setup process, leaving the default values. Have I missed something?

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
2080     0

A host record like that will need a zone. I would recommend creating an authoritative forward mapping zone, along with a network. This will allow those calls to succeed.

You might also find the following helpful for different examples:

https://www.infoblox.com/wp-content/uploads/infoblox-deployment-infoblox-rest-api.pdf

Cheers,

Tony

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You