Highlighted

Pulling out Yellow Records from IPAM

JMetzenthin
Techie
3561     0

Does anyone know how to pull out the yellow records from IPAM (Infoblox Grid Manager)?  I have a couple of networks that NetMRI (Network Automation) found a device, found NO record in IPAM, so it made an entry.  Those entries/records show up in yellow.  I have no idea what type of record it is.  Exporting the whole database doesn't show it, attempts at various device types via API haven't found them yet either.  Figuring this out would greatly help with clean up (removing these and putting in correct records) and monitoring this issue going foward.

Re: Pulling out Yellow Records from IPAM

Adviser
3562     0
Look in the docs for "discovery data" or "discovered data".

[ Edited ]
Expert
3562     0

Hello, JMetzenthin

These are Unmanaged Items. Discovery will automatically create this records to inform you that are new devices in the network that the IPAM administrator probably does not know about. On the UI/API, you can convert this objects to managed items (by creating a IP reservation/fixed address) or take actions to remove the new item from the network.

Do not simply remove Unmanaged items from Infoblox. They will return every time a discovery job finishes (and this is good). It looks like garbage, but is a very useful tool to maintain control of the IP addresses utilization.

Hope this helps,

Paulo

JMetzenthin
Techie
3562     0

I did retry using the UI and API call to modify a record I knew was unmanaged and it does merge the data and make the record a correct type in the system.

I still am struggling with a way to get a full report of the unmanaged devices in IPAM.

If I know a device than I can use ipv4address and check the 'types' field.

/wapi/v2.1/ipv4address?_return_fields=is_conflict,types,discovered_data&ip_address=1.1.1.1

JMetzenthin
Techie
3562     0

I did retry using the UI and API call to modify a record I knew was unmanaged and it does merge the data and make the record a correct type in the system.  So that reduces the need to remove them before replacing them.  Thank you for that help.

I still am struggling with a way to get a full report of the unmanaged devices in IPAM.

If I know a device than I can use ipv4address and check the 'types' field.  Example:

/wapi/v2.1/ipv4address?_return_fields=is_conflict,types,discovered_data&ip_address=1.2.3.4

There has to be a better way to check the whole system.  Any suggestions?  My attempts at using the discovery wapi functions haven't been successful yet.

[ Edited ]
Expert
3562     0

I have a small perl script that looks for all unmanaged items, use the IP address to query the DNS Server for PTR records and use this data to convert them to Host Objects. I've changed the script to reflect what you're trying to achieve (not tested!).

!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use Infoblox;

my $session = Infoblox::Session -> new (
"master" => "ip-address",
"username" => "admin",
"password" => "infoblox"

);
print "Contacting Infoblox...\n";

my $r_code = $session->status_code();
my $r_info = $session->status_detail();
print "Status Code: $r_code, Info: $r_info\n";
if ($session->status_detail == "Operation succeeded") {
print "Conectado!","\n";
} else {
print "Connection Failure. Error Code: " . $session->status_detail; 
}

#You first declare an array containing all your networks... didn't have time to automate this.

my @network_array = ("192.168.0.0/24","192.168.1.0/24"...);

foreach my $current (@network_array){ 
#This will put all unmanaged records into an array
my @result = $session->get(
object => "Infoblox::IPAM::Address",
status => "used",
network => $current
);

foreach my $ipatual(@result){ 
if($ipatual->types() =~ m/UNMANAGED/)
{
print "Unmanaged Item: " . $ipatual . found!\n";
}

You can improve the script to return the data you need. I'm not a script expert, but this can give you a starting point for what you're trying to do. 

Hope this helps.

Paulo

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin