Accepted Solution

AWS Route 53 sync with private zones and views

Expert
3817     1

Hey guys,

So I am just looking at the Amazon Route 53 sync feature in NIOS 7.3 with the CNA license and have some queries about how this works in the real-world with a hybrid environment.

Scenario is customer has deployed Infoblox locally and are using various VPC's on AWS for their apps. They have approx. 80 zones hosted in route 53 which are a mixture of public and private zones, the private zones are spread across various VPC's.

Now when I test the route 53 sync feature in my lab I get a new DNS view for each VPC, private.1, private.2, private.3 etc.

My question relates to how on-premise clients can resolve names in each VPC if they are in different views. I appreciate views are used to prevent duplicate domain name conflicts across VPC's, but if there are no conflicts then we still have all these views to work with and I am struggling to figure out how a client hitting one view due to match-clients ACL will then be able to query the other views.

I could set forwarding up between the main view the client is using and the VPC specific views, but then I don't see how to get the forwarded query to match the correct view. I almost need a way to merge all the VPC views into one.

Anyone got any ideas how I can configure it so clients can resolve all VPC related names in one view?

Thanks,

Paul

PS @Eric I tried posting this in the Amazon section but it wouldn't let me post without setting a label, and there were no labels to choose from.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Re: AWS Route 53 sync with private zones and views

michaudm
Techie
3817     1

Hello,

I find myself in the same situation. I wished we had some import map feature !

Anyone found a solution ?

Additionnaly I have had hard times to figure out error cause from the sync process.

The grid manager says "sync completed with errors".

It there a way to access the logs of the process to troubleshoot ?

Best regards,

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
3817     1

Hi Paul,

Starting in NIOS version 7.3.200 and in the up and coming 7.4.0 release, support for DNS Views has been added which would give you the ability to either keep the same behavior that you are seeing now or to consolidate all of your Route 53 hosted zones into a single DNS View.

NIOS version 7.3.201 is currently available for download through our Support site, while 7.4.0 is expected to be released in October.

Best regards,

Tony Tiscareno

Infoblox

Highlighted

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
3817     1

Hi michaudm,

Typically when you see the sync completed with errors message, this indicates that some records were skipped for some reason. The cause for this should be logged in the system logs but not always. If you open a case with Infoblox Support and provide them with a Support Bundle from the server where you are running the sync from, they should be able to help you with narrowing this down.

Thank you,

Tony Tiscareno

Infoblox

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You