Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

Automate Host Record creation for Servers that register via DDNS

Techie
10101     0

When Servers register via DDNS only an A record is created.  Does anyone know of a way to either automate conversion of these A records to Host Records or know how to make servers create a Host record instead of an A record?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Highlighted

The HOST object is an

Adviser
10102     0

The HOST object is an Infoblox database construct and is not something that can be created or updated via DDNS.  You would need to use the API to do this via some dynamic means.  You could also leverage the CSV import to create the HOST objects.

To protect the HOST object from being split back into A and PTR records, though, you will need to add a MAC address (any will do...including all 0's) which provides a database "lock" on the record with respect to dynamic updates.

Highlighted

Ok......But.... :)

Techie
10102     0

is there away to (like a script or something) that after AD/DDNS creates the A record that I could run....say weekly or nightly...that would go through and "automagically" create a Host record for any A record that has been created in the last x Hours?

I don't think I can be the only person who is tired of having to troll through the records and convert them by hand when I find them. So I'm kind of hoping I don't have to reinvent the wheel here if someone else has solved this challenge.

What is triggering this is that when AD/DDNS creates the A record...no PTR record is created. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Highlighted

No PTR for AD DDNS updates

Adviser
10102     0

Lou,

Yes, it is normal for there to not be a PTR record.  Windows systems (this includes all workstations and servers) have a service, DHCP Client, that run automatically on each system.  This is the service that updates the A records in DNS.  This service does NOT register the PTR records.  Microsoft's view on this is that the PTR is not required by AD so they don't create it.  The DHCP Server service will do it but that only works if your systems are getting their addresses via DHCP methods and they are not configured statically.

Don

Highlighted

Great info and....

Techie
10102     0

Thanks....So am I stuck going through and manually converting?  Will I negatively impact things if I create the Host record prior to AD/DDNS registering/creating the A record?  If there is a Host record will DDNS create the A record?  Are you aware of any scripts or tools that may address my needs?

Seriously thanks for the info I do appreciate it.

Highlighted

HOST creating in advance

Adviser
10102     0

Lou,

Actually, some customers of ours actually lock down the zone to specifically prevent AD systems from registering directly since that helps keep the data "clean" and allows you to track IPAM without risk of the data being deleted.  You don't have to but it's an option.

That said, you can create the host in advance.  AD servers will then query for the record and "update" it if required.  Some systems will just attempt the update regardless so having the data sit on the system as a HOST record and as an A record won't have any impact if the data is the same information.  If it's different, you'll just get roundrobin answers.

I'm not aware of any scripts which "promote" the A records to HOST records but you could potentially leverage the CSV export/import process to convert them.  With the newest releases of NIOS, there are some CSV enhancements that will help you out.  This would also help preserve any potential IPAM data that's currently mapped to the A record and it would let you combine any multi-homed systems as well.

Highlighted

Actually..

Techie
10102     0

.. this is not true. Per default, "DHCP Client" DOES try to register PTR records if the client is set to perform dynamic updates (at least since XP/Server2003). So if the PTR records are not created, something else must be wrong, e.g. the client has PTR record creation disabled via GPO, or the reverse zone has DDNS disabled/restricted.

Lars

Highlighted

Information on DDNS Plug-ins

Techie
10102     0
Hi, Basically, I would need to check the feasibility for the DDNS (Dynamic DNS) in order to have a hostname pointing to IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity) which is in turns pointing the IP address. This means that each service has two entries in the DDNS :- • IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity) mapped to IP address. • Hostname mapped to IMSI. Could you please suggest on the above information and when I can expect your valuable comments on the same... Thanks Amitesh Singh
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You