Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Automation and Object References using WAPI Clarification

Techie
5922     0

When making Restful API calls via WAPI and pointing to a particular object reference is there ever a scenario that the object reference can change?  For instance; checking the status of the services on a member requires using the assigned object reference (c25lLmkpcnR1YWxfcm9kZSRxMA) for that member in the call (https://192.168.1.1/wapi/v2.3/member/c25lLmkpcnR1YWxfcm9kZSRxMA:member.example.com/?_return_fields=s...).  If the object reference ever changes then the script will break.  It is my understanding that once the member is added to a Grid all associated object references are static until the member is deleted from the Grid.  Looking for confirmation that I am understanding this correctly.  

Highlighted

Re: Automation and Object References using WAPI Clarification

Adviser
5923     0

That's my understanding as well.  You may not necessarily want to hard code it into a "permanent" script just in case something does have to get rebuilt but you could do so.  Instead, I'd just search for it at the beginning each time and take the returned reference and then work from there.

Highlighted

Re: Automation and Object References using WAPI Clarification

Techie
5923     0

The goal is to hard code it because we are working towards automating the build of a virtual member and then adding it to a grid with the additional steps of starting the DNS service and confirming its status.  I know though that to do this I have to first manually add a member to the Grid so I can obtain all the assigned object reference keys.  Once I have those I should be able to rebuild a virtual member any time and run a script to auto join it.  I've tested this out and it works, but need to know the limitations regarding the scenarios where these keys might change on me.  No one should ever be deleting a member from the Grid unless otherwise instructed by Infoblox support and this should be the only situation where the scripts will need to be updated with the new keys. 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You