Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

Backup Config of Infoblox Grid

Techie
17345     0

Hi Team,

I would like to know How to backup current running config from GRID Master as well as from each members.

Please let us know step by step procedure?

Thanks...

Regards,

Highlighted

Re: Backup Config of Infoblox

Techie
17346     0

Hi Team,

I would like to know How to backup current running config from GRID Master as well as from each members.

Please let us know step by step procedure?

Thanks...

Regards,

Highlighted

Techie
17346     0

From the Grid manager web interface, Select the "Grid" tab. Then on the toolbar menu, select "Backup". It will prompt you to back up to a local computer, ftp, scp or tftp. Select the appropriate one, then continue.

From what I've seen, you can't back up individual grid members. When you back up from the grid manager, you back up all member configurations as well.

You can also set up an automated backup by selecting the pulldown on the toolbar menu and selecting "grid backup", then "schedule backup". It gives you a list of options for how you want that done.

Highlighted

Techie
17346     0

Each member's config is saved in the Grid backup, so you don't have to backup any inidividal configs. Their is no feature to backup the entire Gridmaster or members if you want to include the logs and zone files. The only way to get those off the box is to use the GUI and download a support bundle for each appliance.

Highlighted

GRID BACKUP with scp

Techie
17346     0

Hello,

could you tell me if it's possible to use scp with certificate(key) rather than login/pass.

Thx

Highlighted

Re: GRID BACKUP with scp

[ Edited ]
Authority
17346     0

Has anyone been able to get SCP backups to work? I was trying manaul backups today and it always errors out. The wraning about man-in-the-middle attacks has me wondering if it is using SSH/SCP v1 instead of v2. We are trying to elimnate FTP from our environment and we are hitting a wall with this one.  Running 7.3.3. Trying to SCP to a RHEL6 server on the same subnet. FTP to this server works and I am using the same user/password that works for FTP.

Highlighted

Re: Backup Config of Infoblox Grid

Techie
17346     0

Can some some help me in obtaining the gird configuration including the password polices the DNS DHCP configuration of the DDI setup

Highlighted

Adviser
17346     0

First, best not to pick up an old thread (this thread is from 2016).  Start a new one.

There is great documentation for backups in the admin guide.  You can schedule a grid backup or perform one manually.  Log in to the grid manager, and click the Grid tab.  Look for Backup on the toolbar on the right.

The Grid Backup will contain all of the configuration for the grid.  This includes DNS, DHCP, IPAM, security, logging, etc.

Highlighted

Techie
17346     0

I'm new to InfoBlox Administration (though I have 20+ years route/switch/load balancer etc) Ive read through the Admin guide backup and restore procedures and what the guide doesnt seem to answer, or is unclear about, is the restore of one individual appliance. If I have one device that needs to be restored back to its original backup state, how do I do that? I can save one single Cisco switch config and restore it. I can archive one single F5 config and restore it, even if they are in HA and even if centrally managed. How do I do this with InfoBlox? If it can't be done, it can't be done, but it seems strange to me. InfoBlox TAC advised that I should reset a problematic member's database and then re-add to the Grid. I can do that, but I always like to be able to get back to my current state. With Cisco and F5 and even Windows and Linux I can - How do we do this with a Grid member? 

Thanks!

Highlighted

Adviser
17346     0

Maybe you're not familiar with how the Infoblox grid works?  The Infoblox grid is managed by the Grid Manager GUI.  The Grid Masters (HA or single) and Grid Master Candidates (0 or more) have all of the data in the Grid.  As you are creating networks and DNS zones and associating them with views or DHCP objects with members or failover pairs, that information gets assigned to the members to provide the configured services.

Members of a grid work like work engines.  They process requests according to the configuration.  If a device needs to be replaced, the new device is configured with the member IP addresses and then joins the Grid.  The Grid Master will push the configuration down to the member.

Remember, all of the grid data exists on the Grid Master and Grid Master Candidates.

Infoblox_Grid.png

You can refer to this diagram from the Infoblox Docs.  The first appliance on the left has configuration that is orange.  If that was a DHCP server, if a second server was also serving the same data, it would also have the Orange configuration.  But the GM has all of the colors (configs).

Because of this, you do not deal with configurations on members.  Even if you delete a member that is a DHCP server, the IPAM information for the networks would not be removed from the Grid!

Does this make sense?  Does this help?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You