Highlighted

CSV Import fields

KLanard
Techie
1594     0

When we run a discovery on a Cisco switch, it returns 2 columns such as 'VLAN' and 'VLAN ID' which are the VLAN Name and the VLAN # respectively.  When we try to do a CSV import we can add those fields as Extended Attributes and they will import - however they import as ADDITIONAL fields in the IPAM. So now there are 2 colums that say 'VLAN ID' 'VLAN NAME' and then 2 new columns. The discovery results will show in the first column, but the imported fields will show as new columns insteead of populating the existing ones. This is pretty useless.  What is the field to use that we can use the built in VLAN ID and VLAN NAME fields so we dont have empty or duplicate fields? Thanks!

Re: CSV Import fields

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
1595     0

The easiest way to complete an import like this is to first run an export from the screen that you are trying to import to. With that, you can delete all columns which you are not looking to update, making sure to leave any required columns (columns where the name includes an asterisk) and the header row(s) for the object(s) that you are looking to update, along with the rows for any objects that you are looking to update.

Using this file as a template now, add/update rows for the devices you are looking to update and try running the CSV import again. This will hopefully help you with completing the import as you are looking to do.

With regards to why you saw this behavior, it is difficult to say why without looking at what you attempted to import but my guess would be that the case for the EA name differed between what you had in your CSV file and what is in NIOS. These names are case sensitive and this behavior would be expected if there are any differences in the capitalization between the two.

Regards,

Tony

KLanard
Techie
1595     0

That was the weird thing - when we exported it to CSV those fields did not export, but when we imported them as custom EA fields they created a 2nd column with the EXACT SAME name (Case, spaces, etc) as the existing one and made duplicate fields. When we deleted the Extended Attributes in Admin area those records stayed in the IPAM, nd we could not import new ones. Thats whats so strange. Thanks for your reply. I may have to open a case with support.  

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
1595     0

Some EA's are used for certain system functions. I haven't tested this particular use case so I would recommend consulting with Infoblox Support and they should be able to provide clarification. In the meantime, I would suggest testing this same procedure out using a different name for the EA.

Regards,

Tony

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

Infoblox ActiveTrust and a Deeper Dive Into your DNS Security