Accepted Solution

Can a host record and associated alias be in different zones?

[ Edited ]
Adviser
7058     0

I have one particular zone that is in two different DNS views.  Inside this zone I have a host record that has multiple aliases defined for that host record.  Some of the aliases are not in the same domain as the "parent" host record.  In the external DNS view all of the aliases look correct.  When I look at the internal DNS view, NIOS has automatically changed any aliases that are not in te same domain as the host record by adding the domain name of that zone to the alias.  For example:

DNS view: external (this works properly)

Host record: hosted.example.com

Alias: site1.example.com, site2.example.com, site3.newdomain.com

DNS view: internal (NIOS keeps changing the alias)

Host record: hosted.example.com

Alias: site1.example.com, site2.example.com, site3.newdomain.com.example.com

When I copied the host record from the external DNS view to the internal DNS view (or recreated it in the internal DNS view) I noticed that NIOS does not like it when the alias has a different domain name from the original host record name and will append the domain name to it.  Only the internal DNS view does this.  What is going on here?

Re: Can a host record and associated alias be in different zones?

Adviser
7059     0

I've discovered that if I create the zone newdomain.com inside the internal DNS view I can now add that one alias correctly.  Problem is I don't want to have to add that zone to the internal view.  My internal view forwards to the external view so I shouldn't have to have every zone in both DNS views.  Am I going to have to remove all the aliases and create distinct CNAME records instead?  This isn't good.  Smiley Sad

AMani Community Manager
Community Manager
7059     0

Hi Clark,

The behavior that you are seeing is working as per design.

What you are trying to achieve is like creating a CNAME record "abc.microsoft.com" in your grid without any zone called microsoft.com. You cannot create it because you are not serving the zone at all. If you want to serve the record abc.microsoft.com, you MUST have the zone or the server will do it recursively.

Let me explain with a scenario.

Scenario:
2 zones in the same view configured as Primary: test.com and foo.com
1 zone in the same view configured as secondary with external primary: example.com

Host Record FQDN : abc.test.com
Host Record IP: 1.1.1.1
Host Record Aliases: sample.example.com, abc.google.com, ns1.foo.com

After adding the host aliases, you would find that the Aliases where the domain name that does not match any zones which are configured as primary, the name of the zone gets appended.

This is what it will look like: abc.google.com.test.com, ns1.foo.com

Moreover, you would get a message: Cannot add the host alias google.com.in to a zone that is secondary" since the zone example.com is secondary(with external primary) and you cannot add records in an external primary zone. 

Alias cannot be added into an non-auth zone

Reason:

Working of an Alias record:

If a query comes for an Alias record, it will try to resolve the A record and thereby its IP.

In the above scenario, if a query comes for ns1.foo.com, the server will see that ns1.foo.com is a CNAME for abc.test.com and it will resolve to the IP 1.1.1.1.

If the query is for abc.google.com, since we are not at all serving the domain google.com, then it MUST do a recursive query.

Alias --> Host/A record --> IP
Host/A record does not resolve to a CNAME, it will resolve only to an IP.

------------------------

Common misunderstanding:

Users gets confused with the terminology when it comes to a CNAME and ALIAS.

In CNAME Record, the field ALIAS is the FQDN of the ALIAS record and it has to be created in a Primary Zone.

The field "Canonical Name" is the field where you can put the name to which it should resolve. It can be either a record inside the Grid served by Infoblox or it can be a completely external record.

Similarly, in a Host Record, the ALIAS field is same as the CNAME record. The record should be inside a zone served by Infoblox.

Hope this clarifies!

Adviser
7059     0

That makes sense.  In order to get around this I will remove any aliases that do not live in the same zone as the host record.  I will edit the zone where the alias is from and add an A record there.  This works in the lab.  

[ Edited ]
Kathy100
Techie
7059     0

Alias to an existing Host or A record:

• Locate the Host record you will be adding an Alias to. In this example the Host record is “utweb-1”. Click on the record to select it.
  • Click the Edit  button to the left of the central pane, located next to the 
    Plus  button.
  • In the (Host) window that pops up, select
  • In the next window, click on the Plus  button and new section/line will appear in the Aliases box.
  • Mouse over and click on the new section below Aliases. The location will open and allow you to key in a new Alias for this Host record.
  • Key in the Alias name you would like to associate with the Host address.
  • Click the Save & Close

https://ut.service-now.com/sp?id=kb_article&number=KB0011360

https://keepovin.blogspot.com/2019/09/become-motivational-inspirational-speaker.html

rohit008
Techie
7059     0

Happy Birthday Images 2019 :- Hello friends welcome to this wonderful page. As you know this page is full of Happy Birthday Images. We upload daily a new image on the top which provide you a unique look regularly. So that whenever you visit this page you always find something new and exciting.Our brand new collection of Happy Birthday Images is all set to use. You can download and share birthday images to someone on their birthday to wish them a Very Happy Birthday. One special thing about this collection is we are updating some unique content daily. So you can get always something new.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You