Infoblox Community

Can't delete A record - auto created by add zone

[ Edited ]
JD
Techie
JD
Techie

Hi

Hope you can help me. I am trying to delete some A records, however this isn't possible. I get the following error "System-generated records cannot be modified". I can see that the record is "auto created by add zone".

I have been searching for solutions, but none I found did the trick. 

I have also tried this:

set maintenancemode

set dns-auto-check renew

I've got the following entry when running the "set dns-auto-check renew" for some of the entries I am trying to delete:

missing PTR ._default.arpa.in-addr.1.2.3.x.somename.com found

Any recommendation as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

JD

Re: Can't delete A record - auto created by add zone

[ Edited ]
JD
Techie
JD
Techie

No one able to help? It would be greately appreciated Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Authority
Authority

Hi JD,

This is a fairly common question and you can find quite a bit of information on this in the Infoblox knowledge base, such as https://support.infoblox.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/122/kw/auto%20created%20record/.

In general, auto created records are generated whenever a zone configuration calls for it. For example, when you assign a name server to a zone or for a delegation, the 'glue' record (such as this A record) required for that configuration to work is automatically added for you. To remove that A record, you would need to remove the name server from the zone(s) that it is assigned to and after it is removed from all configurations, the automatically created records would be removed as well. This can be a little tricky to do in some configurations so you can try running a search using the global search tool (magnifying glass at the top right hand corner of your Grid Manager GUI) and search for the name or IP for this A record. This should help narrow things down for you.

One exception to this is that there is the possibility that the tie between the name server configuration and the record has been broken in the database (usually a factor from older versions of NIOS). In this scenario, you would need to connect to the CLI (SSH) for your Grid Master and leverage the command "set dns-auto-gen renew". This must be run in maintenance mode, which you can enter by using the command "set maintenancemode" (note: maintenance mode does not change the way the server works, only the commands that are available to you in the current CLI session).

Hopefully this helps you with being able to clean this up. If you need any further assistance, Infoblox Support (https://support.infoblox.com/) will be happy to help out you more.

JD
Techie
JD
Techie

Hello TTiscareno

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fix this based on your good suggestions. When doing a search, I get an A-record, PTR-record and an IP address for one of the hosts. I could delete the PTR, but I can't delete the A record. I am not able to find any clues as to why it's status is "auto created". The CLI workaround didn't seem to help either (had tried it before actually).

Well I guess I have to try Infoblox support. 

Again, thank you for your effort Smiley Surprised)

JD