Convert Network Container into Network

Authority
4536     0

Occassionally I or someone else will make the mistake of adding a network that falls within an existing network...and this results in the original network becoming a network container. I know I can delete the container and re-create a new network...but is there a better/easier way to convert a network conatiner into a network - so all related properties (comments, extensible attributes, permissions, etc) remain?

Thanks

Re: Convert Network Container into Network

GHorne Community Manager
Community Manager
4536     0

No. Delete and re-add is your only workaround. 

If you want to keep the data, export it first using CSV, then re-import it after the network is re-created.

You may also want to put different access permissions on these networks if you want to prevent people from creating subnets.

Authority
4536     0

That works only for the data that is common between networks and network containers. All data applicable to networks (but not containers), like DHCP settings, are wiped out and not retrievable.

Authority
4536     0

Why does infoblox not have a solution for this?  We have multiple networks that probably should be containers (exact opposite of OP's question) that I have to work with, and being able to split networks is a great thing, or resize them.....  Not being able to transfer to a container and reorganize as a supernet network is a problem, as the only way you can visually see open subnets within a supernet, is if that supernet is a container (then view through IPAM and see possiblities of any given subnet within that supernet).  If you have that container instead, as a supernet network, good luck visually seeing that. Visually great if you have your containers managed.  Poor if you have networks supernetted/subnetted already and don't have a very specific layout for containers before you even implement infoblox.   Am I missing something on this, or is this a hole in the way infoblox handles IP management....?  Or do I just create one mass container for the 10.0.0.0 /8 network and go from there?

Highlighted

Authority
4536     0

Does anyone have any input on this?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You