Highlighted

Custom NS name

Techie
2019     0

When configuring name servers for a zone (either manually for the zone or with groups), how do I specify a custom name to use for that name server?

Essentially what I want is when someone does a "dig ns <domain>", they get ns1.<domain> and ns2.<domain>.  Right now the results returned are the hostnames of the name servers.

I tried making the grid primary and grid secondaries stealth, and then adding external primary name servers.  But the GUI complained that the IPs used for the external primaries were duplicated with the grid primary/secondary.

Any ideas how I would accomplish this?

Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Custom NS name

Adviser
2019     0

You have to name the Gird Member according to the name you want to see in the NS/A record.

Currently there is no way to change the name only for the zone.

Highlighted

Techie
2019     0

That makes me sad Smiley Sad

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
2019     0

I think you can work around this a bit. Though not recommended, but still you can try on your lab and see if it works.

Try the below:

Assumption/Pre-requisites:

1. Server with hostname "ns1.infoblox.com" and IP x.x.x.x
  2. Authoritative zone "infoblox.com". This will automatically add the record "ns1" to the zone "infoblox.com" with the IP of the member (x.x.x.x)
  3. Authoritative zone "example.com". This zone has the Grid Primary "ns1.infoblox.com"

If I understand correctly, your requirement is that when we query for the NS record of the zone "example.com", we should get "ns1.example.com" instead of "ns1.infoblox.com" and if we resolve that NS, we should get the IP x.x.x.x

If the above is the requirement, then

1. Edit the zone and mark the grid primary as stealth.
  2. Add "External Secondary" as "ns1.example.com" and add the IP 255.255.255.255 (placeholder IP)
  3. Create a CNAME record where "Alias" is "ns1" and the "Canonical Name" is "ns1.infoblox.com"

When you query for the NS of the zone "example.com", you'll get ns1.example.com instead of ns1.infoblox.com and when you try to resolve the A record for the NS, you'll get the server's actual IP address. But the problem is, while resolving the query, the output will contain that ns1.example.com is the cname for ns1.infoblox.com.

Let me know if this helps!

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You