DNS DHCP IPAM

Accepted Solution

DDI - Reservation - Fixed IP Address

LiBpt
Techie
1641     0

hello,

I have set up my DDI with our microsoft server DHCP & DNS but in read-only.

Now, I would like to reserve a reservation ip address but it's not possible.

I have enable "Capture hostname and lease time when assigning fixed addresses" on my grid propreties on DHCP section.

If I can't reserve an IP address, it's because I don't use the DDI's DHCP ? Or it's because our microsoft servers are in read-only ?

furthermore, I would like to delegate this reservation throught the task.

I explain me, I would like that an agent can reserve and remove an IP Addresse, but for remove, how to do ?

Sorry for my bad english,

And thanks for your help.

Best regard

Re: DDI - Reservation - Fixed IP Address

Adviser
1641     0

Hello There,

‘Reservation’ in Microsoft is considered to be a ‘Fixed address’ in Infoblox terminology. While ‘Reservation’ in Infoblox just holds an IP address for future use tied to 00:00:00:00:00:00. It means that, this IP address would not be offered to any clients & is just reserved for future use. So if you are really trying to bind a MAC address to an IP address, served by Microsoft DHCP server, then you should configure that as a ‘Fixed address’ from Infoblox.

Now since you’ve stated that the Infoblox server is managing the DNS/DHCP data from Microsoft in Read-only mode, the Grid member copies the DNS and DHCP data from the Microsoft server to the Grid so Grid Manager admins can view the synchronized data. They cannot update the data, control the DNS and DHCP service of the Microsoft server, or configure any properties. So, if the admin who manages the Microsoft DHCP server via Infoblox needs the ability to create ‘Microsoft reservations’ (~ Fixed address in Infoblox), the managing Infoblox server should have Read/Write permission(Used user account for synch should have appropriate permissions too).

For instructions, please refer section “Adding Fixed Addresses/Microsoft Reservations” from chapter “Managing Microsoft DHCP Services” of the NIOS administrator guide.

If I understood your last question correctly, you want the admins to be able to create “Microsoft Reservations”(~Fixed address) via Infoblox, but should not have the ability to delete them ? or vice versa ? In either cases, such granular permissions does not exist in NIOS as of now. You may get in touch with Infoblox support to see if there are any existing feature enhancement requests for the requirement, to which you may get added to.

I hope this may be of help in someway & please feel free to post questions if any.

Best regards,

Mohammed Alman.

LiBpt
Techie
1641     0

What I would like, it's find the most easier process for the IP address reservation.
This task will be use by a novice network technician.

So, ideal, they will have to reserve an IP address that isn't use in instant.
The Ipam Reservation it's the most easier for us because, it's not necessarly to know the MAC Address computer. But this option isn't present in the task view, also, in DHCP tab, this option isn't available, Why ?

Furthermore, when the technician reserve an IP address, I would like generate a recap. In fact, when I reserve an IP, the only informations that I have are the IP Subnet : 10.0.0.0/8 for example, but the novice technician doesn't know the subnet mask. In the recap, we would need, the IP address, the subnet mask, and the gateway. It's possible to generate this kind of recap ?

Sorry for my bad english,

Thanks for your help.

Adviser
1641     0

Hello There,

Let me put this across to you in this way. Your current environment is :

• An Infoblox server ‘A’ licensed for Microsoft management is currently synchronizing the DNS/DHCP data from one of your Microsoft server ‘B’ in ‘Read-only’ mode.

• Let’s say, 10.129.4.0/24 is a network which came into Infoblox via MS-Synchronization process from Microsoft server ‘B’. So this means server ‘B’ is currently serving DHCP for 10.129.4.0/24 (Microsoft) & Infoblox is just expected to manage things in this network.

Now your use-case is :

You need to configure IP reservations (Example : 10.129.4.56) from 10.129.4.0/24 network via Infoblox in such a way that, this IP address should be isolated from DHCP OFFERs made by Microsoft server. As per what I’ve understood, this should be done without binding it to any specific MAC address ~ in short, this IP address is going to be used in future for static allocation to clients ? Having the Microsoft server configured to be synchronizing in “Read-only” mode, there is no question of adding/modifying anything at Microsoft side via Infoblox. So I’ll answer assuming that Infoblox has Read/Write permission over Microsoft.

-- I understand that there are exclusion ranges available, but I’m not sure whether Microsoft offers the ability to ‘Reserve’ an IP address for future use without having a valid MAC address tied to it. Since the configurations that you do at Infoblox for 10.129.4.0/24 should eventually be reflected on your Microsoft server, this configuration might not be accepted as well. An attempt to add a ‘Reservation’ from Infoblox for a Microsoft network would throw “Fixed address 10.129.4.56 cannot be added to a Microsoft Network because it does not have an associated MAC address”. So you'll have to create this as 'Fixed address' at Infoblox side with a valid MAC address.

However, if these networks were served by Infoblox DHCP server you could have created a reservation as a static IP address for future use without adding a valid MAC address to it. A I mentioned earlier, ‘Reservation’ in Infoblox is a pre-provisioned fixed address that is associated with a MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00. Since 00:00:00:00:00:00 is not a real MAC address, no client can receive this IP address from the address pool. You can reserve this static IP address and assign it to a client in the future – the steps to do this are pretty straight forward/easy to use as you may already know

From the last paragraph of your reply, what I understand is that you as an administrator should be able to do a “Review” of the “Fixed address”/”Reservation” created via Infoblox before it gets to Microsoft ? If that is the case, the novice network technician should be falling into a ‘non-super-user’ account in NIOS with limited privileges & you could make use of the “Task approval workflow” feature to get this requirement done. You may review the section “Configuring Approval workflows” section from chapter “Infoblox Grid manager” of the NIOS administrator guide.

Please feel free to let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Mohammed Alman.

LiBpt
Techie
1641     0

thanks for your response, my company doesn't want setup MS-Server on Read/Write.

So, the solution is to do a host record. But, that I want is to do a host record firstly, then when the NetMRI synchronization is done, I would like the name that was discover replace the name that was set by the technician. It's possible ?

also, for have a view of the hosts records, I tried to use the smartfolder, but I can't see every hosts records because I have more than 2000.
What is the solution for that ?

Also, I would like see every DHCP scope isn't use.
I explain, my MS-Server is setup, so I see every scope, but if I don't have a lease, the scope is use at more than 75% of the defined DHCP range even though there is no ip used.
I would like to get a report on which I could see the unused plans, It's possible ?

Furthermore, I would like know if my DDI solution is update, my version is " 6.12.5-268838 "

I thank you for your response and your help.

Sorry for my bad english

Highlighted

Adviser
1641     0

Hello,

To the best of my knowledge the NeTMRI appliance would just pull the discovered data via SNMP & that data cannot be used to replace anything in the NIOS database. Since the total number exceeds 2000, you may use the CSV export feature to export all the host records from NIOS. This could be done from :

Data Management -> CSV Job Manager from the Toolbar -> In the CSV Job Manager wizard, click CSV Export -> Select the *  icon -> Uncheck ‘All objects’ -> Now select ‘Hosts’ from the list of available objects -> ‘Export Data’.

To answer your question about the scope utilization, I assume that there is a range configured inside the synchronized network & you are looking at the statistics from IPAM ?  If yes, https://support.infoblox.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/467/kw/IPAM%20utilization should address your question. Talking about reports to view this information, if you have Infoblox Reporting solution in your grid, the “IPAMv4 Network Usage Statistics” report could meet your expectations as far as I understand.

The current NIOS version that your grid is running on has reached end of life as on 10/31/2017. Please consider upgrading to any of the latest builds in order to make use of the latest features/bugfixes. As of today, the latest available NIOS releases are 8.2.4/8.1.8/8.0.11 & 7.3.18 in their respective batches. To find additional information, please visit https://support.infoblox.com -> ‘Tech Docs’/’Downloads’.

Hope i've covered all your questions.

Best regards,

Mohammed Alman.

LiBpt
Techie
1642     0

Thanks for your help. 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You