Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

DNS DHCP IPAM

DDNS PTR Updates

[ Edited ]
8964     0

Hi,

In short, I'm hoping for some reason behind DDNS not updating PTR records when a host changes IPs. It suggests in DDNS and infoblox documentation that PTR records should by dynamically updated.

To give a high level of my testnig envrionment and procedure:

• NIOS 6.12.7-281477
  • The zonesin question are mydomain.com and 10.in-addr.arpa
  • RHEL VM host configured for DHCP
  • VM boots and successfully picks up DHCP address 10.0.1.254/24 and creates an A and PTR record
  • I move the VM to another switch
  • Restart network services on the VM,VM picks up new address range on the switch of 10.0.2.254/24
  • The A record is properly updated, but old PTR record remains
  • I am left with two PTR records (different IPs) pointing to the same myserver.mydomain.com

I currently have the following settings configured/checked for DDNS in the global grid DHCP properties:

• DDNS TTL: 8 hours
  • Update DNS on DHCP Lease Renewal
  • Generate Hostname if not Sent by Client

I have fiddled around with some of the settings, under Data Management specifically looking through DNS > Grid DNS Properties > UpdatesDHCP > Grid DHCP Properties, and DHCP > Configure DDNS

I feel like I'm missing a configuration item, because DHCP and DDNS are working well outside this one issue. If there is anything I can clarify, I'd be happy to do so.

Thank you,

Kyle

Re: DDNS PTR Updates

8965     0

what is known that you have to upgrade the IOS and scanvenging option enable.  This option will work to update PTR record and delete old one.

Re: DDNS PTR Updates

8965     0

Hello, where can i download the NIOS ?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You