Accepted Solution

DHCPv6 DDNS update failing "NOTAUTH"

Authority
3556     0

Hi,

I am attempting to use DDNS for DHCPv6 clients, and am getting the following message when the client renews a lease.

dhcpdv6[6014]: Unable to add forward map from dhcp-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.abc.domain.co.uk to 2001:xxx:xxx:1f02::d42f: NOTAUTH 

The DHCPv6 transaction is working absolutely fine, it is just the DDNS bit that's failing to work, which is done by the DHCPv6 server. DHCP/IPv4 works absolutely fine for the same subzone and the same clients. It is the same grid members serving the same clients for both protocols.

I can't find any explanation in the admin guide for the meaning of 'NOTAUTH'.

Thanks,

Andy.

Re: DHCPv6 DDNS update failing "NOTAUTH"

Expert
3556     0

The DHCP server is reporting that it is getting a non-authoritative response for the zone it is attempting to update.

Do a "dig abc.domain.co.uk. soa" from the DHCP server and check that the "aa" flag is set.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Authority
3556     0

Hi Paul,

This is the answer I get back

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 56818
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

Infoblox GUI shows the subzone to be Authorative.

Thanks,

Andy.

Highlighted

Expert
3556     0
Oh hang on, I just remembered, I think it might actually mean NOT AUTHORIZED.
Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Authority
3557     0

Ok so where would this authorisation be configured, as presumably it's an internal Infoblox process of a DHCP process being able to update the zones? This is something that has always just worked for us, but suddenly stopped in a particular subzone.

Thanks,

Andy.

Authority
3557     0

Not for the first time, this seems to have just sorted itself out! The zone is now accepting dynamic updates.

Thanks for the assistance.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You