Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

DIW vs Zone Transfers vs Microsoft Management Module

Adviser
4123     0

I noticed that I have quite a few options for DNS/DHCP data migrations: DIW, Zone Transfers, Microsoft Management module, CSV Import.  I have multiple sites that I need to migrate and the majority of them use Microsoft AD-Integrated DNS/DHCP.  With DIW and the ability to dump the Microsoft registry, DNS and DHCP data to a file and import within DIW, what would be a reason(s) to choose/use the Zone Transfer option or the Microsoft Management module?  I'm planning my migrations and am not clear on what method to choose for each site.

Re: DIW vs Zone Transfers vs Microsoft Management Module

Adviser
4124     0

The DIW is designed for importing data from various systems.  Microsoft DNS support seems to work well.  This method can often import additional settings beyond just the DNS zone records.

A good alterntiave is to use zone transfer.  This allows the records to be imported from the external DNS system and imported on Infoblox as a new zone.  Once in Infoblox, the old system can be disabled or decommissioned.

Finally, the Microsoft Management feature is designed to allow the Microsoft DNS environment to remain, but be managed from within Infoblox.  The Microsoft DNS servers would be listed and the zone data managed like other zones.  I do not believe this can be used to migrate the zone to Infoblox as Infoblox does not allow changing from secondary to a master zone.

Adviser
4124     0

@JLeveillee wrote:

A good alterntiave is to use zone transfer.  This allows the records to be imported from the external DNS system and imported on Infoblox as a new zone.  Once in Infoblox, the old system can be disabled or decommissioned.

Does the Zone Transfer option require additional work/changes within Infoblox to the zones once transfered?  Or is it as simple as allowing the transfer on the Microsoft side, perform "import zone" in Infoblox, and that's it?

@JLeveillee wrote:

Finally, the Microsoft Management feature is designed to allow the Microsoft DNS environment to remain, but be managed from within Infoblox.  The Microsoft DNS servers would be listed and the zone data managed like other zones.  I do not believe this can be used to migrate the zone to Infoblox as Infoblox does not allow changing from secondary to a master zone.

So with the MMM, once established, I would still need to use DIW or Zone Transfer should it be decided later to completely migrate from MS to Infoblox?

[ Edited ]
Superuser
4124     0

Hi,

I've created some demo lab on migrating DNS records from DC to Infoblox by using DIW (may be it will be a boring video becuase i captured all step of my lab from scratch) Smiley Happy. I upload the video on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba1n-vgfA90&t=25s, hope it can give you some idea on it.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
4124     0

can you please share that migration video if possible ?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You