Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

DNS Test Setup with Infoblox

Authority
2771     0

Hi,

I am working on testing DNS on Infoblox 1425 virtual appliance.Last week I was able to make it secondary for a zone and it was pulling data successfully from my primary (MS server) and syncing with the MS server at regular intervals.But, since we eventually will be migrating from MS servers (currently we have DNS on domain controllers) to Infoblox for DNS ,we need to verify if the DC is able to successfully register SRV records with the infoblox DNS server or not. I plan to setup a lab environment with a test domain abc.com and a test DC using the below steps but have a few doubts :

1) Spin up infoblox VM on a test server 

q: should the test server and infoblox be a part of the test domain - abc.com ? or can they be a part of the production domain?

2) Spin up a test DC on the test server,point the DNS configuration of the DC to use the infoblox machine as primary and itself as secondary.

q: should the test DC be a part of abc.com domain ? or can it be my a part of the production domain?

3) Add an addtional VM - X on the test server for future testing.

4) Add DNS service to the DC,created a zone, "abc.com" and add some entries to it.

5) Create a test domain abc.com on the domain controller and promote it.

6) Import the zone 'abc.com' into Infoblox using the import zone option in infoblox.

7) Remove DNS from DC and configure it as a forwarder to infoblox for abc.com.

8) Configure AD on infoblox to allow updates from the DC.

9) Check if the DC is able to register SRV record on infoblox.

10) Add server X to the domain abc.com and see if a new DNS entry is created for it on infoblox and if the server is added to the right OU in ADUC.

Are these steps correct?  Is there any particular order that should be followed? 

Regards,

Kirti

Highlighted

Re: DNS Test Setup with Infoblox

Techie
2772     0

Hi Kirti,

Please find the answers inline to your questions below. 

1) Spin up infoblox VM on a test server 

q: should the test server and infoblox be a part of the test domain - abc.com ? or can they be a part of the production domain?

If you are referring this to the FQDN of the DNS server it can be anything which is resolvable. Ideally we need configure the IP address of the Infoblox DNS server as primary DNS for DC.

2) Spin up a test DC on the test server,point the DNS configuration of the DC to use the infoblox machine as primary and itself as secondary.

q: should the test DC be a part of abc.com domain ? or can it be my a part of the production domain?

This can be according to your requirement, but for the DC to update the DNS SRV records we should have Infoblox DNS Server as primary DNS in the network configuration.

The other steps looks good to me.

Highlighted

Re: DNS Test Setup with Infoblox

Authority
2772     0

Hello,

So I was able to create a tets environment with a host housing 3 VMs: 

1)  Domain controller

2) Infoblox

3) Test VM

I followed the steps stated in the procedure I described in my original post, but I don't see a DNS entry in Infoblox for the TestVM. The current set up is as follows:

1) The domain controller is not running DNS and has infoblox configured as its primary DNS in its network settings.A test domain say D has been created on it and it has been promoted.

2) Infoblox is authoritative for the test zone D.Active directory has been configured for this zone to receive updates from the DC IP.I have also added the DC IP to the ACL in the updates section of DNS Grid Properties.

I see the DC registering SRV records into Infoblox, a dynamic A record is also created for the DC.I try to join the 3rd test VM to the domain D and its successful. ( It is able to reach its DNS Server-Infoblox and obtain the A record of the DC). But I don't see a DNS entry getting created for it in Infoblox, any pointers as to why its not happening?

Also, another thing I noticed is : when I do an nslookup on my DC, I see the below output: 

C:\Windows\System32>nslookup
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: ::1

>

The DNS of the DC is pointing to Infoblox but in the nslookup output , it says Unknown.Any idea why?

And do we need to add Infoblox to this test domain D? As in do we need to create a service account for it to be the DNS admin?

Regards,

Kirti

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You