Accepted Solution

DNS query logging

pyronina
Techie
11355     0

How do I turn on "DNS query logging"?  I have a model 550.

Re: DNS query logging

Adviser
11355     0

Goto Grid -> Grid Manager -> DNS -> Pencil Near DNS -> Toggle Advanced Mode -> Logging -> Select "queries".

You can also log DNS responses.

Depending on the load, these options can have an impact on performances though.

Expert
11355     0

I did some performance testing some time ago that tested the throughput of the IB-550, 1050 and 1550 appliances.

I found that when querylogging was enabled the throughput dropped to approx. 30% of the rate achieved without querylogging. E.g. an IB-550 was able to process 10800 qps, but when querylogging was enabled it dropped to 3080 qps.

When syslog is also configured to forward to a remote syslog server the throughput dropped by a further 5%.

I have not repeated these tests on the Trinzic appliances. Maybe someone else has done something similar?

Regards,

Paul

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Adviser
11355     0

We also did such tests using a IB-550-A at that time and came up roughly with the same numbers.

It handled fine its announced QPS (12k) but dropped to around 3k with query logging. We did not try with syslog forwarding enabled or not and responses logging was not implemented at that time. I think it would be worth testing with it also.

We have Trinzic appliances deployed but did not test them and since they are running on production, I'm not sure I'll test load them.

If I get to test this, I'll definitely add feedback here (don't hold your breath though :-) )

pyronina
Techie
11355     0

Thanks for the reply!

Highlighted

johnpape
Techie
11355     0

To turn it on for just one member instead of the whole grid:

Data management -> DNS -> Members -> (select member) -> (select edit) -> Toggle Advanced Mode -> Logging -> Select "queries"

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You