Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

DTC configuration for load balancing

10561     0

Hello All,

I need to enable DTC feature in my existing infoblox DNS implementation for my customer.

I have two site Site A and Site- B in two different data centers. Site A - Grid Primary and external Secondary ( in active passive mode ) and site B - Grid Primary and External secondary in active passive too. Both sites has zone transfer enabled from Grid Primary to External Secondary. Also these internal DNS taking to external DNS for DNS queries etc.

I want to load balance these servers in Ratio i.e A IP : 30% , B IP: 40%, C IP: 30%.

Please help me with the following information.

1. I can enable 60 days license but how i can check if i need to buy an additional license or not?

2. How to enable DTC server, Pool and Load balancer configuration. How to validate it is working

3. How to check if the fixed ratio is working as per Ratio.

Thanks in advance for help!

Re: DTC configuration for load balancing

[ Edited ]
Superuser
10562     0

Hello Gentleman,

Before you start working on your use case, please keep in mind that DTC resource records WILL NOT propagate via zone transfer. That means, if your external secondary is a non Infoblox DNS server, that’ll not load balance the RR which you setup – unless that vendor has some sort of load balancing techniques for the secondary data. As you might have read through, ‘Ratio*’ would be the flavour of load balancing technique that you need to rely here.

I can enable 60 days license but how i can check if i need to buy an additional license or not?

-> You may use the 60 day temporary DNS traffic control license using, ‘set temp_license’ command from the CLI of the Infoblox DNS server. If you’re satisfied with the feature’s capabilities, you may purchase a permanent license from your Infoblox account representative. It has been working beautifully in enterprise networks, so I’m hoping that it should meet your load balancing requirements(As far as I’ve understood from your update). While there are some platform specific constraints to be kept in mind(Like supported hardware & its capacity etc), I strongly recommend you to talk to your Infoblox systems engineer, so that he can set this up for you.

How to enable DTC server, Pool and Load balancer configuration. How to validate it is working.

-> Check out the presentation by some of our sales engineers : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rZpiUnuMGA . That should give you a good introduction about the feature. To set things up, read through chapter ‘DNS Traffic control’ from the NIOS administrator guide. If something’s not clear, let me know here.

How to check if the fixed ratio is working as per Ratio.

-> I would fire ‘N’ number of queries matching the load balanced pattern & take the average of responses that I get from my server. For instance, the following DNS request initiated from bash would send a hundred query to my DNS server for www.alman.com ( load balanced pattern) & I’ll simply count the average of DTC answers returned to see if that matches the ratio that I setup: 

for i in {1..100};do dig @1.1.1.1 www.alman.com +short;sleep .5;done

Let me know any questions that you’d have.

Best regards.

10562     0

thanks a lot for your reply Mohammed Alman.

1. Our external DNS servers are also Infoblox. I think to be more clearer about the use cases. We have five network element nodes

1)MME1 - 1M subscriber - IP A

2)MME2-1M subscriber - IP B

3)MME3-1M subscriber-IP C

4)MME4- 2M subscriber- IP D

5)MME5-2M subscriber- IP E

Each nodes has different capacity so i want to load balance the DNS traffic request based on the request as per their capacity.

I am planning to create the following

a) MME_LBND object and attached below pool.

b) Server pool- MME_POOL and add these server IPs in pool

a) IP A - 15 ratio

b) IP B-15 ratio

c) IP C- 10 ratio

d) IP D- 30 ratio

e) IP E -30 ratio

As i dont have any lab environment i need to configure it in production site. I just want to ensure to checked it before enable it.

a) What is the rollback procedure. In case it doesnt work as expected.

c)  I am planning to enable it for my zones & its records.

10562     0

Hi Mohammed Alman,

In one of the webiner it was mentioned about the reporting for the DTC but i cannot find it in the Dashboard. Can you please help how to find it?

Thanks,

Vinay

10562     0

Also if i remove one of the node from cluster using Round Robin -Fixed , Does it required to restart the DNS Service.? 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You