Highlighted

Database Over Capacity

EKoong
Techie
11249     0

Hi,

Does anyone know if my database utilization hit above 100%, for example 120%  and i use DHCP service only, will user still be getting IP?

Thanks a lot

Hi Eugene,

EPeeters
Techie
11250     0

Hi Eugene,

There is no hard stop on the database capacity usage. So if you go to 120% clients will still get an IP address if there are still available IP addresses in the DHCP range. However, the performance is no longer guaranteed. So GUI and responses might be slower. Max number of requests advertised for the model might not be reached and packets may be dropped.

Hi Erik,

EKoong
Techie
11250     0

Hi Erik,

Thank for the fast response. I was just qurious however i have client that database hit 80%, its better to do a tech refresh then to be safe Smiley Happy

Thank you

You can run a capacity report

JMurray
Techie
11250     0

You can run a capacity report and see exactly what objects are taking up all the space.    

We ran into this issue on our DHCP servers a while back and determined we needed to enable scavenging.  Once we did that database usage dropped significantly.   

DataBase Capacity

SKOITA
Techie
11250     0
dear all , i ran into the same issue , my database is 85% utlisation , and when i run capacity report i see that host and host record are taking up to 50% (43 000 object in total ) what was your work around for this situation ? thank you

What kind of hit did you

Authority
11250     0
What kind of hit did you experience when scavenging was first enabled? How many total/lease objects in your DB / how many objects did scavenging remove? Infoblox documentation includes notes like this: "If you plan to enable this feature after upgrading from a previous NIOS version, Infoblox recommends that you enable it during off-peak hours, as it may impact DHCP services." But there are no specifics given. What kind of impact (outage or slowness)? How long? Is impact a factor of objects per grid or per server / number of lease objects or number of lease objects to be scavenged? Under X lease objects not likely to be an issue / over Y objects likely to be issue? (We are looking at 150k DHCP lease objects in grid, up to 35k on an individual node, guesstimate of 80% scavenge rate.)

do you know where the

LWilliams
Techie
11250     0
do you know where the capacity report is in the Grid Manager GUI. I'm running 6.12.8 thanks

In the GUI go to

EPeeters
Techie
11250     0

In the GUI go to

• Gird / Grid Manager / Members /
  • Select the Grid Master
  • on the right hand menu you will find "Capacity Report"

You can also create the capacity report for any of the other members in the grid using the same method.

Via cli you can type the command "show capacity"

thank you!

LWilliams
Techie
11250     0
thank you!

I am running into the same

LWilliams
Techie
11250     0
I am running into the same capacity alerts - is there any action that needs to be done or what are your thoughts on these alerts?

Re: I am running into the same

bmcdonaldjr
Techie
11250     0

I had a similar issue and fixed it this way. My grid master and larger members were all 1420 physical devices. There were several members that were 820 physical devices. All of the 820 members were within normal capacity limits. However, I added a virtual 825. I turned on DHCP and DNS. I then added the virtual 825 to my default name server group. When I added it, I specified grid replication. As soon as I did this my capacity numbers skyrocketed. I changed it to DNS zone transfers and everything now appears within the limits. I know that Infoblox recommends using grid replication but if you have a large DNS environment (and a large IPAM environment) using DNS zone transfers can save you a bit of grief when using smaller model members in your grid. All of the 820 physical members are setup with DNS zone transfers.

YMMV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You