Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

Disabling the DHCP WINS option for only a single subnet

Techie
4265     0

We want to try to turn off WINS on one of our client subnets.  In our DHCP, whenever you choose a single scope, and try to remove (emtpy out the address fields) for the DHCP option for WINS, it tells you that the field can't be blank.

Is there a way to edit a specific property (option) for only one scope/network?

Highlighted

Re: Disabling the DHCP WINS option for only a single subnet

Expert
4266     0

Looks like I opened a ticket for this back in 2013... I thought they documented the answer in the ticket but it appears closed without resolution so I must have found it on my own.

There isn't a way to simply not hand out that option.   You must hand out something to make the Infoblox GUI happy.   My solution is to hand out 0.0.0.0 for WINS and other IP based options.  Most DHCP clients handle that the same as no option.  I know that Windows clients do for WINS for sure.

For text based DHCP options we hand out the ASCII null or ASCII backspace character.

\x00
\x08

One of these usually gives the same result as not handing it out at all to the clients from the clients perspective.  Although when you do the packet capture, you still see the DHCP option in the packet back to the client.   I wish there was a way to simply not include a option but there doesn't seem to be.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
4266     0

To help explain why this is the case- DHCP options are processed in a certain order:

Grid > Member > Network View > Network > Range > Fixed Address/Reservation/Etc)

If an option is configured at an upper level (such as at the Grid level), this will be used unless overridden with a value specifically set at a lower level. If there are options which should only be handed out to select clients or networks (e.g. Routers), then they should be set only at those levels.

However, that can be a challenge when the option must be used for most networks but not for a select few. Finding a value that can be ignored by clients is one workaround, as you found here. Other solutions may be available as well, including possibly removing the option from the global level and applying it selectively to the networks where it is needed (the CSV Export/Import feature can be leveraged to help simplify this process).

Highlighted

Expert
4266     0

Other solutions may be available as well, including possibly removing the option from the global level and applying it selectively to the networks where it is needed (the CSV Export/Import feature can be leveraged to help simplify this process).

While I appreciate the sentiment, that is not really acceptable for an enterprise solution. I think Infoblox needs to add a new "block inheritance" feature.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE
Highlighted

Expert
4266     0

I have bumped into this again, did we ever get a proper solution to this?

I have WINS options set at the grid level, but am importing lots of new networks for a different country, I do not want clients on these new networks to be handed out "legacy" WINS options, and I can't justify making changes to all the existing networks to remove the grid WINS options.

So ideally I need a way to block inheritance.

unset wins.jpg

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE
Highlighted

Adviser
4266     0

I have had this feature request for some time.  I have not seen this in any release notes.  I suggest you ask you account team to add your company to the feature request.  The more folks that request it, the sooner it will be considered.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Techie
4266     0

@paulr wrote:

I have bumped into this again, did we ever get a proper solution to this?

I have WINS options set at the grid level, but am importing lots of new networks for a different country, I do not want clients on these new networks to be handed out "legacy" WINS options, and I can't justify making changes to all the existing networks to remove the grid WINS options. mcdvoice.com

So ideally I need a way to block inheritance.

unset wins.jpg

Thank you but i can't understand.. 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You