Infoblox Exchange Cybersecurity Roadshow 2020 – Join us!
North America | Europe | Middle East/Africa | Asia-Pacific

DNS DHCP IPAM

Discovery Lookup on upstream DNS Servers

KLanard
Techie
1982     0

We are running discovery with Network Insight/IPAM version 8.2.x. We have the advanced checkbox checked for 'Resolve Host and Network device' etc to supposedly DNS resolve every IP we hit. These are 98% DHCP devices of various flavors. I have a couple question on this . When these are resolved, does it ONLY look at the local Infoblox DNS Server for the host resolution? We dont seem to be getting many actual host names. Related to this - can we use an external DNS server to resolve these host names? They pretty much have every license but not MS/AD/DNS Mgmt license. Is it possible to pull a zone transfer from a local MS AD DNS server and resolve them locally that way? They arent using the Infoblox as DHCP/DNS they just want it as the IPAM. Im trying to get it to scaan subnets and pull the upstream DNS Server host names to populate the results tables instead of just IP. A handful of devices do resolve including some MS AD DHCP workstations so Im guessing this is discovered through other ways but not upstream DNS? Please help me understand the order of operations on a discovery how it resolves a host name and if its possible to look them up externally for discovery results? Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Discovery Lookup on upstream DNS Servers

Adviser
1982     0
As I recall, it should not require that you even use Infoblox for DNS. Those reverse lookups do not happen through the Grid database directly but rather through the DNS protocol. That means they can point to any resolver. I am not sure though how that is configured in the UI.

KLanard
Techie
1983     0

Thank you for the insight - I would like to know how to set it for certain, and the order it uses to lookup host names during discovery etc where that is configured. Is anyone from Infoblox on these forums? I cant seem to find a decent reference beyond the online help or manuals that basically say 'lookup a host'.  So far the discoveries im running arent showing host names for most of the discovered IPs which are windows wokstations on AD DHCP. I can do nslookup on the same server, same IP address and get the name. 

Adviser
1983     0
I am from Infoblox Smiley Happy

But I haven’t set up this particular bit. I think you just need to set the member DNS resolvers to point where you want. Grid > Grid Manager > Members. Pick member and click the gear icon and choose ”Edit”. You’ll see DNS Resolvers in the list there.

John
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You