Accepted Solution

Extensible Attribute not show in the list

Authority
4527     0

Hi,

I just cretaed new Extensible Attribute and used it for Device Interface. In Interface properties it looks like that:

ExtensibleAttributeAssigned.jpg

Unfortunately even if column for this atrribute was added to the list nothing is displayed:

ExtensibleAttributeNotDisplayed.jpg

Am I missing some important step here? I am using vNIOS 8.1.4-358341.

Piotr

Re: Extensible Attribute not show in the list

[ Edited ]
TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
4527     0

From the screenshots here, I am guessing that you created the EA (setting a default value), and added that EA column to be displayed in the GUI. The missing piece is if the EA was added to the objects in question, as that is not done automatically since that can still be done selectively, despite a default value being set. To add the EA, edit the properties for the object and then add this EA under the Extensible Attributes tab in the properties window.

If you are looking to apply an EA to multiple objects, it may be easiest to do this using the CSV Import feature. I don't know what kind of objects these are but to build the CSV file, you can click on the Export button and export data in Infoblox CSV Import Format. Once you have that file, remove all of the rows and columns which you do not need (required columns are noted with an asterisk) to help speed up the import process since this can be fairly slow in general. Refer to the CSV Import Reference Guide for further details and examples for this process. THe guide is available through the Help panel in your Infoblox GUI, or through the Tech Docs section on the Infoblox Support Portal (https://support.infoblox.com/).

Once you have the file setup the way you want it, you can then import it to either override or merge the data with existing data.

Regards,

Tony

[ Edited ]
Authority
4527     0

Hi,

Thanks for answer. Actualy it's not exactly the case. I did create custom EA but without any default value. First screenshot form my post is from Interface object EA section when I added F5 VS and entered value by hand.

Still nothing is didplayed in the list view.

Here is better screenshot where EA is applied:

ExtensibleAttributeAssigned2.jpg

Piotr

Community Manager
4527     0

I tried creating a simple EA and then added that to an interface for a device. This displayed as expected.

I would recommend consulting with Infoblox Support and seeing if they can help identify why this is not working as expected for you.

Regards,

Tony

Authority
4527     0

Thanks, will play around ans see if I can somehow fix it, if not I will open case.

Piotr

Authority
4527     0

Hi,

Mystery solved :-) EAs are working and  displaying in the list. I just did not notice that when using Edit in Data Management -> Devices -> device name -> IP Addresses I am actually editing Interface IP is assigned to not IP itself.

So when switching to Interfaces tab I can see entered value for F5 VS in the list.

Unfortunately it's not what I tried to achieve and from my test it seems to be impossible to assign EA to IP address object - or there is a way?

Piotr

Community Manager
4527     0

That does help explain things a bit. With regards to EA's in general, they are assigned to objects in the database. There is no mechanism to add EA's to invidual properties within those objects.

Authority
4527     0

Hi,

So if I am not wrong for Device object IP Address is property of Interface object? As an result I can add EA to interface but not to IP address.

If so how I can enrich info about IP address itself? Sure I can have entry in DNS, but what's more?

What are options here? Created Host object with given IP?

Maybe this is specific case for BIG-IP devices but I have situation like that:

Interface maps to two types of objects in F5 BIG-IP - physical interface and object named VLAN in F5 therminology. On BIG-IP there is one-to-many relation between interface and VLAN - so one interface can have many VLANs assigned.

IP (except mgmt interface) is never directly assigned to interface, first it's necessary to create VLAN assigned to given interface/interfaces/LAGs, then create IP and assign to VLAN (here we have many-to-one relation between IP and VLAN). There are as well IPs assigned to Virtual Server objects (floating IP, something like VIP)

As an result in Interfaces list most of the VLAN objects has Multiple in IP Address column. Both self IP, floating Self IP and VIP are all attached to VLAN object in Infoblox.

So one interface object (to which I can assign EAs) is related to many different purpose IPs. Assigning EAs at interface level - to add info about IP - seems to be pointless.

I can't add EAs to IPs itself - so what are other ways to create context info fo IPs?

I can's as well see VLAN ID retrieved for VLAN objects, even if VLAN object on BIG-IP is created as tagged (can be as well unttaged) - this info is for sure available via SNMP or CLI so what is logic for retrieving VLAN ID for interface?

Piotr

Highlighted

Community Manager
4527     0

I do see how it would appear that this should work as you had thought it should since the options to set the EA's are there. I would recommend consulting with Infoblox Support to take this forward. From what I can gather here, your concern is that the EA can be defined at the IPAM -> Device -> Interface -> IP address level but cannot be viewed in the columns display, nor can a filter be used to locate IP addresses based on those EA's. Support can verify if this would be considered a bug or if this should be tracked as a feature request.

Regards,

Tony

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You