Infoblox Exchange Cybersecurity Roadshow 2020 – Join us!
North America | Europe | Middle East/Africa | Asia-Pacific

DNS DHCP IPAM

Accepted Solution

External CANONICAL NAME

c880gm
Techie
4064     0

Hi Infoblox community,

Has someone have configure a CNAME record with a canonical name that is not in the zone?

I mean, when you configure a CNAME record, you usually choose an alias, and then the canonical name, but what if the canonical name is not in the same zone as the cname record, or what if your canonical name is not even configured in the box?

Regards,

Jesus Garcia.

Re: External CANONICAL NAME

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
4064     0

With CNAME records, any queries for them will get the target as the answer and if the target is resolvable by the server being queried, it will also return the resolved record. To demonstrate, I added a cname record in a simple zone and set the target to a name which is resolvable but resides in a zone which is not configured on my server :

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;alias.test.zone.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
alias.test.zone.        28800   IN      CNAME   www.infoblox.com.
www.infoblox.com.       3600    IN      A       161.47.10.70

In general, this scenario works just fine. If you see any issues with the CNAME record resolving, you would need to make sure that there are no issues with your server being able to resolve out the target name, such as if there is a loop and is why the protocol specs state that you should not point a target name for a CNAME record to another CNAME record, though you will find that this is commonly done.

Highlighted

Re: External CANONICAL NAME

c880gm
Techie
4064     0

Hi,

Thanks for the Answer, I tested it in a laboratory environment and it worked.

Regards,

Jesus Garcia.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You