General question on DNS and DDoS attack.

NM
Techie
2521     1

Folks,

The below questions is a general question related to DNS. Do I really need to be worried about DDoS attacks on my Internet link if there are no DNS servers hosted in the Infrastructure?

Typically would a DDoS attack cause me any harm in this case?

Thanks,

N.

Highlighted

Re: General question on DNS and DDoS attack.

SMakousky
Techie
2521     1

I would still be concerned as your clients could be used in the DDoS attack.

The client could be sending bad DNS requests out to DNS servers anywhere in the world, so you many not need to worry about getting DDoS'd yourself, but you could be activly participating in a DDoS attack.  I would not assume you are safe.

@NM wrote:

Folks,

The below questions is a general question related to DNS. Do I really need to be worried about DDoS attacks on my Internet link if there are no DNS servers hosted in the Infrastructure?

Typically would a DDoS attack cause me any harm in this case?

Thanks,

N.

Re: General question on DNS and DDoS attack.

RLangston
Techie
2522     1

If you aren't running a DNS server, you can't be the victum of a DNS-based DDoS attack.  The goal of such an attack is to render your DNS server useless, so that it can't answer real queries.  This keeps people from being able to contact you on the web.

You could still be the victum of other types of attacks.

And if you are worried about your systems having malware that could make them start DDoS attacks, Infoblox's DNS Firewall product is designed to stop that from happening...

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You