Grid Master itself is the DNS Grid member that receives the DDNS. Can this work.

Guru
2241     0

Hi;

I have read in a training manual that it is best practice not to make the Grid Master the DNS server that receives DDNS updates from the DHCP server/s.

While I understand the rationale behind this, what if the budgeting constrains makes it necessary to use the Grid Master as an ADNS for zones and the reciever of DDNS updates? can this work? I mean what is the concern there, is it computing resources on the GM?

Also, is it possible to have the GM and GMC act as multi masters, this way if the GM fails, the GMC can still receive DDNS updates. Is this possible considering that the GM and GMC masters can receive DDNS updates even-though this is not best practices? 

Kindly

Wasfi

Re: Grid Master itself is the DNS Grid member that receives the DDNS. Can this work.

Community Manager
Community Manager
2242     0

Hello Wasfi,

One of the main reason why Grid Master is not recommended for recieving DDNS updates is because it GM is the member which handles the GUI(apache service running). The load might increase on the GM is the number of users accessing the GUI is large and thereby affecting the performance. Also GM is the one which binds all the members together.

However, the point to be noted is, GM is similar to any other member on the Grid and if there are services running on the GM, it will act like any other server would do.

You can always configure which one of the primary should recieve the DDNS updates. It is described in detail under the portion "Defining the Default Primary for DDNS Updates to Zones with Multiple Primaries" in NIOS Admin Guide.

The above is just my point of view. I would still recommend having a word with your Accounts team before you make any architectural changes on your grid.

Regards,

Re: Grid Master itself is the DNS Grid member that receives the DDNS. Can this work.

Guru
2242     0

Hi;

If I define a "default primary", and the "default primary" goes down for some reason, would DDNS updates go to the non-default primary automatically?

Kindly

Wasfi

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

Demo: Infoblox IPAM plug-in integration with OpenStack Newton