Infoblox Exchange Cybersecurity Roadshow 2020 – Join us!
North America | Europe | Middle East/Africa | Asia-Pacific

DNS DHCP IPAM

How to know if Fixed IP address is no longer being used

PDungao
Techie
3388     0

Hi,

Can anyone help me with identifying if a fixed IP address is no longer being used? we have many subnets in our network and each device is assigned a fixed ip address. If for example a certain computer has been replaced, the IP address associated with that computer is still fixed with IPAM. To free up IP address no longer being used, I need to know this detail. I already asked for a demo of the Infoblox reporter for IPam but i think it did not solve my issue. thank you.

Re: How to know if Fixed IP address is no longer being used

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
3389     0

There will be multiple methods for accomplishing this but I think the easiest way would be with the Infoblox Reporting solution. For example, the built in report titled "Inactive IP Addresses" allows you to view lease usage information based on the search parameters that you set.

You can find more details regarding this are available in the NIOS administrators guide. For your reference:

Inactive IP Addresses
The Inactive IP Addresses dashboard lists inactive IP addresses that are not in use since the initial specified time, and remain so through the last discovery cycle. For example, you can use this dashboard to compare the state of all ports on devices for one month’s operation versus 1 weeks’ operation. The dashboard lists inactive IP addresses associated with Hosts, IPv4 and IPv6 Fixed Address objects, and IPv4 Reservation objects. Each unique IP address within each network view appears exactly once in the dashboard. You can go to the Data Management –> IPAM page to delete listed inactive IP addresses.

Regards,

Tony

PDungao
Techie
3389     0

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply. This is the option I am thinking would solve my problem. However, when i check the inactive IP address report, The IPAM reportings seems considering fixed addresses as used IP addresses. Do I need to do discovery of the whole network before generating the report? I am new with the IPAM reporting and will push on purchasing this once this solves my query. Your insights on ths is reallt a big help. thank you

PDungao
Techie
3389     0

Hi Tony,

another quick question. Do i need Infoblox network Insight for the inactive Ip addresses report to work? thank you.

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
3389     0

To be able to answer this correctly would require looking a little closer at how your environment is setup. I would recommend consulting with your Infoblox account (Sales) representative and they can help make sure that you get all of the information that you're looking for.

Regards,

Tony

PDungao
Techie
3389     0

Thank you Tony. 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin