Accepted Solution

IPAM for Network Devices, etc.

tsmith4usac
Techie
5281     0

I am using IPAM with Microsoft integration and would like to know how others handle tracking IPs used on things like routers and switches.  I do not see any way to mark an IP as used without creating a DNS entry, so do you just create DNS entries for every layer-3 interface and VSI on your routers and switches?  If it makes any difference, I am using NetMRI and not Network Insight.  Thanks.

Re: IPAM for Network Devices, etc.

Adviser
5282     0
You can create a HOST entry and uncheck the “Enable in DNS” flag. That will make it so you are not forced to create the record inside a zone.

I highly recommend doing something different though such as creating a “.ipam.local” zone and put all of your “IPAM only” objects there. You can (1) disable the zone and/or (2) just not assign it to any DNS members. By doing so, you have a very convenient and easy way to immediately find ALL hosts “not in DNS” just by going to this zone. They won’t actually be in DNS unless you enable that zone so it’s true but the configuration obviously results in them looking like they are in DNS.

Ultimately it comes down to how you want to ultimately manage your data but I’ve found this to be one of the better approaches.

Re: IPAM for Network Devices, etc.

tsmith4usac
Techie
5282     0

Unfortunately we are only using the Microsoft license right now so I'm not sure I can create hosts.  Although, I have enabled DNS so perhaps I can create an unused local zone.  Thank you for your response, I will try this out!

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin