Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Increase LPS performance in DHCP Failover

sonnyf
Techie
2015     0

Hi there,

Would you effectively have double the performance in terms of LPS when you setup DHCP failover?  For example, would a 1420 with a 300 LPS yeild 600 LPS when setup for DHCP failover with another 1420?

Thanks.

Re: Increase LPS performance in DHCP Failover

Adviser
2016     0

Hello, Sony,

Not necessarily, DHCP Failover is a configuration to increase reliability and ensure availability in case one server is not reachable.As part of configuration, we are adding IP helpers to both the servers and they in turn process all the DHCP requests that originate in the subnet either in standalone and n FO configuration. 

If you are concerned about the LPS I would suggest to split the DHCP scope based on the traffic and assign to both servers rather than in an FO configuration.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Syan.

sonnyf
Techie
2016     0

Thanks Syan for the response.  I queried because I know both DHCP servers in FO will process the traffic but only one actually responds and continues to process the client request and send the offer, so assumed the standby is not impacted much.  My question is for sizing purposes as queried by a client.  I agree splitting the scope is a good option for increased performance especially if client numbers are less than 50% of the total scope size.

regards,

Sonny

Adviser
2016     0
Hi Sonnyf,

Just to clarify, together the dhcp peers can handle higher than 300 lps in the given example but definitely not 600 lps. The peers has to process discovers but it's spared of the laod from subsequent process in DORA.

Regards,
Syam
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

Demo: Infoblox IPAM plug-in integration with OpenStack Newton