Accepted Solution

Indentifying name server answering anycast query

jpl
Techie
3118     0

Does anyone know how to configure Infoblox so you can identify the name server answering a query to an anycast address? Doing an Internet search I see there's an RFC (5001) describing a solution to this using an NSID option, but see any references to it in the Infoblox docs.

thanks..

-john

Re: Indentifying name server answering anycast query

Expert
3118     0

I'd like that too but don't think I have seen a solution to this yet.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

jpl
Techie
3118     0

There's a solution in the admin guide in the section "Configuring Hostname and Server ID Options”. Once you set those options, you can send a query -

dig @[DNS_ANYCAST_VIP] hostname.bind txt CH

and you'll get a reply with the hostname of responding server.

(Thanks to Brian Hebert my Infoblox SE for pointing this out to me). 

Expert
3118     0

I"ve been meaning to open a ticket on this, but maybe you know.

How do you do this on the console of the Infoblox members?  The version of dig on there does not accept the normal dig syntax.   I can't figure out how to do a CHAOS query from the actual CLI of a infoblox member.

Highlighted

bmcdonaldjr
Techie
3118     0

If you configure your Infoblox appliances that are to participate in an anycast cloud to provide hostname and/or serverid responses when queried, things will be much easier. While Infoblox has made the configuration of anycast simpler, they've hobbled the dig command from the NIOS CLI. From the NIOS CLI, the +NSID switch and the old standby chaos queries are not available. The need to rewrite that command in particular is somewhat puzzling. My suggestion is to spin up a virtual instance of Linux or Freebsd and use dig (or drill) from there. Keep in mind your location on the network. You know what they say, location, location, location. When diagnosing/troubleshooting anycast DNS I can't say enough times that you need to be conscious of your location as well as where you point your queries.

Regards,

Bob

3119     0

On the Infoblox CLI you can use the command:

dig @[anycast_ip] id.server txt chaos

Expert
3119     0

@gustavoMarques wrote:

On the Infoblox CLI you can use the command:

dig @[anycast_ip] id.server txt chaos

You must be in expert mode to use the full dig command set.   The "standard" CLI dig is the stripped down command set of dig.

bmcdonaldjr
Techie
3119     0

expert mode works, thanks. 

Regards,

Bob

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You