Accepted Solution

Infoblox DNS cannot resolve some domains and not stable in resolving domains

vw
Techie
6865     0

Hi all,

I've been trying to implement vNIOS (NIOS version 7.3.1) in my lab environment. I use NAT IPs for my vNIOS and test machine which is connected to a router and public IP. I only use 1 DNS server and I'm using the default configuration except I enable recursive queries. The result is as follows:

• Some international domains cannot be resolved: pearsonvue.com, reuters.com, etc.
  • All local domains can be resolved successfully.
  • For other domains which have been resolved: Once I clear the cache or restart service, those domains unexpectedly failed to be resolved (randomly). SERVFAIL is the most to show.
  • When I use dig +trace, sometimes I find 'BAD (HORIZONTAL) REFERRAL'.

Is there any additional configuration which I need to add?

Thanks in advance

Re: Infoblox DNS cannot resolve some domains and not stable in resolving domains

GHorne Community Manager
Community Manager
6866     0

Is your DNS server forwarding to another DNS server , or using the root servers for non-authoritative queries ?

Perhaps the system doing the NAT is dropping packets on the return journey ? Could it be having issues with EDNS0?

dig +trace won't  show the query path being used by the DNS server. But you can try a dig from the console of the appliance to understand how it sees things. 

Re: Infoblox DNS cannot resolve some domains and not stable in resolving domains

vw
Techie
6866     0

Hi GHorne,

I'm not forwarding the queries to another server for this settings.

As for the NAT system, I don't think there's any packet drop because the guy who maintain the system had given me the result and no issues.

I guess I have to do the test in another environment to make sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You