Accepted Solution

Inherited Infoblox deployment and trying to figure it out

lanwench
Techie
2258     0

Hi all - I'm a Windows/AD sysadmin, not a network geek, so forgive me for what will inevitably be poorly-worded questions!

We're on NIOS 7.3.8-340539. 

We have a grid with ~9 HA pairs in multiple locations. 

We have moved from AD-integrated DNS to Infoblox but have a ton of other internal, non-AD zones in BIND. 

One of these is currently set up in Infoblox as a forward zone, and I need to find out how to create it as a secondary DNS zone instead.

Reasoning: We want to add more reliability due to a possibly unreliable WAN link (and planned network changes) by having a full read-only copy of the zone in Infoblox - that's what a secondary zone would be, correct? 

I have never set up a zone from scratch in Infoblox and am having a hard time finding how-to documentation on this. Do I start by creating an authoritative zone? I'm not sure how I then tell it to be secondary & initiate a zone transfer. I also don't want to do anything that will disrupt the existing forward zone (I guess this means, keep it disabled until we're ready to remove the forward zone?)

I know just enough about DNS to be dangerous. Any how-to guidance (doc, videos, real-life anecdotes) would be most welcome. 

Thank you!

Re: Inherited Infoblox deployment and trying to figure it out

Adviser
2259     0
@lanwench wrote:

I have never set up a zone from scratch in Infoblox and am having a hard time finding how-to documentation on this.

There is an Infoblox Core DDI Deployment Guide at https://www.infoblox.com/wp-content/uploads/infoblox-deployment-guide-core-ddi-basics-nios-8.pdf that provides some basic examples of zone and record creation.

Do I start by creating an authoritative zone? I'm not sure how I then tell it to be secondary & initiate a zone transfer.

Yes, if you want to host a zone as a secondary to someone else then you need to create an authoritative zone. (I assume this is a forward-mapping zone but a reverse-mapping zone would work the same way.) When creating the zone you will need to specify a set of nameservers for the zone (or a nameserver group containing a list of nameservers). If you will be secondary then in specifying the set of nameservers you define the non-Infoblox system as an "external primary" (providing its IP address), and each of your own nameservers for the zone as a "grid secondary".

I also don't want to do anything that will disrupt the existing forward zone (I guess this means, keep it disabled until we're ready to remove the forward zone?)

You cannot create two different type zones of the same name in the same DNS view. So you will have to delete the forward zone before you add the regular zone. (You could tell the Infoblox system to schedule these actions for a maintenance window if desired, with a short delay between them.)

Frank

Re: Inherited Infoblox deployment and trying to figure it out

lanwench
Techie
2259     0

Thank you, Frank! I'll set up a test zone first to see how this looks, and will read the doc from the link. Much appreciated. 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You