Is it possibble to do DHCP Reservation by hostname, not by mac address?

Techie
11527     0

Hi Folks,

Is there anyway to do DHCP Reservation by hostname rather than MAC Address. So, the use case is i want to get the same IP address each time i log in to any workstation once my userid already authenticated(let's assume i use Active Directory).

Im thinking about using DDNS update by manipulate the TXT Records. So once my userid is authenticated, i will also get my "specific" ip. Looking forward for your sugestion. Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards,

Rama

Re: Is it possibble to do DHCP Reservation by hostname, not by mac address?

Adviser
11528     0

How do you plan to login and autheticate against AD without an IP address?

Adviser
11528     0

Hi Rama,

I was able to configure DHCP in a way that a client with a specific hostname  would always get a single IP. I used the below configuration.

1. In a /24 network, I created a range with only a single IP address and another range as big as required.
  2. Created an option filter under 'IPv4 Filters' with the rule as Option 12 equals my hostname.
  3. Added a class filter to the range with a single IP address with the option filter that I created and configured the action as 'Grant Lease'
  4. In the bigger range ,I added the option filter as a class filter with the action ' Deny Lease'

I tested this with a DHCP relay agent simulator and found that when the hostname in option 12 is the hostname that I specified in the filter, the lease is given with the IP in the first range.

Below are the relevant parts from the DHCP conf file.

# Option filter "teswt1"
    class "teswt1" {
    match if (option host-name="jarvis");
    }

pool {
        infoblox-range 10.192.16.2 10.192.16.2;
        range 10.192.16.2 10.192.16.2;
                allow members of "teswt1";
        ddns-domainname = pick ( option fqdn.domainname, config-option domain-name );
    }
    pool {
        infoblox-range 10.192.16.4 10.192.16.254;
        range 10.192.16.4 10.192.16.254;
                deny members of "teswt1";
        ddns-domainname = pick ( option fqdn.domainname, config-option domain-name );
    }

Regards,

Sandeep

Techie
11528     0

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for your advise!

I was able to getting IP that i defined with my specific hostname by following your instruction. And it works !

Thank you very much!.

Regards,

Ramadian

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin