Accepted Solution

Issue Configuring Aruba ClearPass as TACACS Auth Server

MisterFritchy
Techie
5071     0

Hey everyone

I am setting up an Infoblox Grid for the first time and I could use some assistance with configuring my Aruba ClearPass server as the TACACS+ server for authentication.  I keep getting errors like "[TacacsError] AUTH : Error occured during communication with server." when I go to test the connection between the Infoblox and ClearPass.  It was working before (by someone else) but we had to blow away the Infoblox server so I know the Aruba side is configured properly.  TAC told me I need to assign an IP range for the Device Configuration on ClearPass, I did that and that still does not work....

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Re: Issue Configuring Aruba ClearPass as TACACS Auth Server

Moderator kzettel
5072     0

Hello Ian,

Perhaps I can help. Can you tell me what kind of connection you are trying to make? is this a connection with the Security ecosystem integration that we have or is this through another type of connection. If it is another type of connection can you give me some more details on the type of connection problem you are having.

thank you,

Kevin Zettel

MisterFritchy
Techie
5072     0

Kevin,

Thanks for responding.  I was trying to enable TACACS+ authentication for logging in using our ClearPass server which checks against our AD servers.  When going through the setup process under Administration > TACACS+ Servers > (user defined group) and setting the correct parameters I kept seeing this error message: [TacacsError] AUTH : Error occured during communication with server. 

The solution ended up being that ClearPass no longer supports CHAP as an authentication method for its TACACS+ authentication protocol.  In order for TACACS+ to work with ClearPass the authentication method must be PAP.  CHAP added an extra layer of encryption that ClearPass wouldn't process.  This should go for not just Infoblox but actually any server calling to ClearPass for TACACS+ Authentication.

Thanks again

-Ian

Moderator kzettel
5072     0

Hello Ian,

Sorry I wasn’t of much help, but I am glad that you were able to solve the problem!

If you need help with anything else don’t hesitated to ask us.

Thank you,

Kevin Zettel

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You