Accepted Solution

Issues Collapsing a Reverse Lookup Zone

JGennaro
Techie
3840     0

Hello,   Looking for some advice.    We have a 10.in-addr.arpa reverse lookup zone.    Inside that are many "NS Records" and many "PTR Records" for hosts manually given one, ie not the automatically created ptr records made when creating a Host records, those are not listed but I know they are there somewhere.     There are also many Subzones for more specific networks, I'm guessing these were created during the creation of the networks themselves and checking the box "Automatically Create Reverse-Mapping Zone".     I need to create a new smaller zone called "115.10.in-addr.arpa" so I can set zone transfer properties only to this space.    My concern is if all 10.115.x.x records and subzones will move into this newly created zone automatically.    I tested this by creating another network, breaking it up, adding records to it, then making smaller reverse lookup zones for the new smaller networks, the records flowed into them ok.

My question is this.    If I need to back out this change and put it back the way it was, is there an easy way to do this?    I've read that if you delete a smaller zone the records are deleted as well.     I shouldn't need to go back but I need to plan for this if I do.

Would anyone have any advice?

Much Thanks,    John Gennaro

Re: Issues Collapsing a Reverse Lookup Zone

GHorne Community Manager
Community Manager
3841     0

if the PTR records belong to hosts, they will get autogenerated and put back in the right place.

But, if the PTR records were manually created (e.g. form an DDNS update) they will probably get deleted when you delete the zone. (I haven't tested this, but it's usually the case).

The simple(ish) workaround is to just export the records as a CSV file, delete the subzone, then re-import the records.

Because the CSV will have the FQDN, and not the actual zone, it should put the records back in the right place.

Re: Issues Collapsing a Reverse Lookup Zone

JGennaro
Techie
3841     0

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You