Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

NXDOMAIN response

2183     0

Hi,

DNS queries relating to the our domain work OK if the requested RR exists, but if it doesn't exist, then instead of returning an NXDOMAIN response, the query just times out.

1. Test with Exist RR no problem
2. Test showing that a query for a non-existent RR times out instead of returning NXDOMAIN:

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Request to Domain timed-out

I've tested this from the Internet as well and the same thing happens.

DNS shouldn't withhold a negative response to a legitimate query. Can someone please advice why the negative responses are not being returned for this domain/Infoblox Server?

Thanks in advance for your help.

RE:NXDOMAIN RESPONSE

Superuser
2184     0

hi,

seems your problem was exacly the same like this threads: https://community.infoblox.com/t5/DNS-DHCP-IPAM/Without-NXDOMAIN-response-with-No-Exist-RR/m-p/23090

about your question it should respond with the nxdomain. But to investigate i suggest you to get the packet capture from infoblox and do the test again, wether if the query reach out the infoblox or not. so we can clearly see the communication between the dns client and dns server.

And do you have any feature like advance dns protection on your appliances?

Re: RE:NXDOMAIN RESPONSE

2184     0

Hi I am getting same message for non authratative replies and also getting the result from load balancer.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You