Record A and PTR entries not created

MQuintanilha
Techie
13912     0

hello,

I'm new user of Infoblox, I am facing a problem with Dynamic Host update on a DDNS zone.

Infoblox use for dynamic configuration of hosts (Windows clients) in our Windows environment customers are responsible for sending the RRset The DHCP and send the PTR, but the PTR type RRset is not being created by Infoblox.

Can you help?

tks!

Re: Record A and PTR entries not created

Expert
13913     0

Have you enabled DDNS updates? Go to Grid DHCP Properties, IPv4 DDNS and check that you have the "DDNS Updates" check box enabled.

If you have that enabled then it might be worth looking at the logs. Can you paste a snippet from syslog, use a filter to set "server = DHCP" so we can just see the DHCP messages.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

GHorne Community Manager
Community Manager
13913     0

also check if you have any ACLs on the reverse zone that are denying  the update.

I assume the clients are doing the DDNS updates, and not infoblox, so looking for any DHCP logs won't help you (sorry paulr).

search the syslog on the DNS PRIMARY member (as that is the one recelving the updates) for any update messages.

look for lines like this (and any 'denied' messages) :

2010-10-18T12:42:19+01:00 daemon (none) named[17795]: info client 10.53.1.21#60058: view 1: updating zone '10.in-addr.arpa/IN': adding an RR at '57.214.53.10.in-addr.arpa' PTR

Expert
13913     0

Reading the original post it seemed that he wanted Infoblox to add the PTR while the client added the A record... "The DHCP and send the PTR, but the PTR type RRset is not being created by Infoblox."

This is standard behaviour from what I remember. Not sure if option 81 is involved at this point. If he sets DDNS domain name, then Infoblox will do the forward lookup as well won't it?

So I wanted to see the DHCP logs to see if it was trying to add the PTR record and troubleshoot one step at a time.

:-)

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

MQuintanilha
Techie
13913     0

Hi Paul,

Thank you for response and fallow up! I have the feature DDNS Update enabled.

Initially we had not enabled the XXX function, I chose to enable it to DHCP scope level for testing. This is a network where users own several areas of the corporation, when tested, I realized that the DNS suffix used to form the FQDN of the DHCP client was inherited in option 15. How do I get that customer enters the zone with your FQDN formed by your active directory domain?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin