Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

Reserve ip without adding invalid MAC to dhcpd.conf

Techie
104     0

How do I add a single reserved ip without having Infoblox setting it as DHCP and push out an useless conf on the servers? 

So far only seen I can do this when adding a range, where there's an option to disable from DHCP 

Highlighted

Re: Reserve ip without adding invalid MAC to dhcpd.conf

Techie
105     0

Anyone who can help me with this, can you reserve a single ip adress in Infoblox IPAM without it being treated as a fixed DHCP writing 7 rows of config in dhcpd.conf? 

Highlighted

Expert
105     0

Sounds like you are trying to add fixed address, when really you need "IPV4 Reservation". Navigate to a VLAN in IPAM and it's on the toolbar on the right, just click "Add" and you'll see it in the drop-down menu.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE
Highlighted

Techie
105     0

Thanks Paul,

If I go to a subnet in the IPAM, Add - IP4 reservation the reserved ip shows up with Type Reservation and Usage DHCP, and a Fixed IP conf with  MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00 gets pushed to server. This is the same if I do so within or outside of the regular DHCP scope.  

If I instead go Add - Range - IPv4 there is an option to tick box "Disable for DHCP" resulting in Type IPv4 Reserved Range without DHCP and no DHCP conf pushed to server. 

I noticed just now I can choose a range of a single ip address which is great and could be doable workaround, but strangely enough that non-dhcp range isn't possible to remove in IPAM view but only in DHCP view. 

I could possible get the local support team start using Range instead of Reservation (can I block Reservation in the permissions for them? ) , but adding to that they'd have to go to DHCP view to remove it just seems out of place.

Highlighted

Expert
105     0

I think you're doing something wrong, you don't need to go into the DHCP view, nor do you need to define a range. Stay in the IPAM view, just add a Reservation not a Fixed Address. The system does not prompt me for a MAC address, see screenshots:

ib reserve 1.jpgib reserve 2.jpg

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You