Thin client for IPAM.

2981     0

Hello Team,

Q.) I'm quite eager to know if any thin IPAM client exists for basic RO operations like showing\filtering subnets, DNS records and so on. Expectation is to access IPAM server remotely from app installed in RO user PC.

Thx.

Rado

Re: Thin client for IPAM.

Adviser
2982     0

@RRudzan wrote:

Q.) I'm quite eager to know if any thin IPAM client exists for basic RO operations like showing\filtering subnets, DNS records and so on. Expectation is to access IPAM server remotely from app installed in RO user PC.

I'm not sure if anyone has written such an application, although it wouldn't be too hard to do given the availability of the Web API to NIOS. If you're looking for Infoblox to provide such an application then I suggest that you contact your Infoblox account team (sales rep and systems engineer) and ask them to submit a Request for Enhancement on your behalf. (If you don't know who your account team is just send me a private message with the name and location of your organization and I'll try to find out for you.)

Also, what you want to do with the information you obtain with such an application? For example, if you get a list of subnets filtered according to some criteria, do you just want to display the information on screen, or do you want to produce some sort of report? And what exact types of queries would you want the application to support?

The reason I ask is because there are already two built-in mechanisms that might be able to do most of what you want. The first is the built-in CSV export mechanism: You can export IPAM or DNS information in CSV format, and then open the resulting files in Excel, Google Sheets, etc. In more recent versions of NIOS (at least 6.12 or later) you can do global CSV exports to, for example, export information on all A records. You can then do filtering post-export.

Another approach is to construct URLs to do Web API operations, enter those URLs into the browser location bar, save the resulting XML output, and then open the resulting XML files in Excel, etc. This is a little more complicated, but I suspect it would be relatively simple to do a basic web page that could provide pre-canned queries with some customization.

In either case you'd provide the user with a login account for NIOS that was restricted to read-only access to the relevant parts of the NIOS database.

Frank

Re: Thin client for IPAM.

Community Manager
Community Manager
2982     0

You may want to take a look at this:

http://www.slc.com.au/home/nimob

It's still experimental, it works best on a PC browser, which would suit your needs

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin