Tip: What to do if grid members won't join the grid using MGMT interface

[ Edited ]
Expert
2338     0

I just spent a lot of time troubelshooting some issues with grid members that would not join the grid when using their MGMT interfaces.

First, check a few things:

1. Make sure you are using the GM's LAN1/VIP address when prompted for the GM IP address. It will not work with the MGMT address on the GM. This is made clear in the docs but still trips people up.
  2. Verify connectivity between the GM and member(s). Set up any firewall rules to allow 2114/udp and 1194/udp between LAN1 on the GM and MGMT on the members. If you can allow ICMP too then you can use the "ping from" command, e.g. on the member do "ping <GM LAN1 IP addr> from <Member MGMT IP addr>" and then check the opposite direction, e.g. on the GM do "ping <Member MGMT IP addr> from <GM LAN1 IP addr>"
  3. If you do a packet capture on the GM and you just see loads of incoming packets from the member on port 2114 and no replies going back out, check the member network settings in grid manager - go to network->advanced then scroll down and make sure that "Enable VPN on MGMT Port" is ticked. This is VERY easy to miss, also it's poorly worded IMHO, if it said something like "Enable Grid Communications on MGMT Port" it might be a bit more obvious. Also this tick box does not appear if the member is actually a grid master or grid master candidate (makes sense seeing as these don't support grid comms over the MGMT interface).

I wanted to post this here in the hope it saves someone else a load of time and trouble. Good luck!

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Re: What to do if grid members won't join the grid using MGMT interface

2338     0

Some great info in here... Thanks for posting!

Re: Tip: What to do if grid members won't join the grid using MGMT interface

Authority
2338     0

**bleep** spent 5 days on this ...

i guess the GMC can never have a vpn over its mgmt interface, and it should always use the lan1...right??

Expert
2338     0
Correct!
Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Authority
2338     0

The documentation gets somewhat overwhelmed by setting up an HA Gridmaster.  So here is what I learned from hard experience.  If you have decided to use the mgmt port and the lan1 port.  The gridmaster needs only one IP.  Set the LAN1 ip to have an IP that is  in the subnet of the management interfaces of the grid members   That is all that is needed on the gridmaster.  Grid Master candidate.  Set the LAN1 to have an IP that is in the subnet of the management interface.

Example

Grid Master LAN1 10.5.16.113, subnet mask 255.255.240.0, gateway 10.5.31.254

Grid Master Candidate 10.5.16.114, subnet mask 255.255.240.0, gateway 10.5.31.254

##################################################

Gridmember1

LAN1 10.5.3.116, subnet mask 255.255.240.0, gateway 10.5.15.254

MGMT 10.5.16.116, subnet mask 255.255.240.0, gateway 10.5.31.254

#####################################

Gridmember 2

LAN1 10.5.3.117, subnet mask 255.255.240.0, gateway 10.5.15.254

MGMT 10.5.16.117, subnet mask 255.255.240.0, gateway 10.5.31.254

And so on.

technic123
Techie
2338     0

Thank you, for sharing this info. It sounds like this printer is exactly what I am looking for! We are HP people, too, and I like that you have lots of experience and have done the research for me.if you want to repair your printer please contact. 

epson printer error code 0x97

[ Edited ]
zoziano
Techie
2338     0

thanks for helping Clean Master  Facebook Lite  Mathway

Highlighted

2338     0

In reality, if you're using a dedicated HA pair GM (not serving DNS that is) you don't really need to use the MGMT interfaces, just configure an O&M IP on the LAN1/HA as well as on the members MGMT interface, this will allow you to use the VIP for establishing the Grid VPN with the members.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You