Infoblox Exchange Cybersecurity Roadshow 2020 – Join us!
North America | Europe | Middle East/Africa | Asia-Pacific

DNS DHCP IPAM

Accepted Solution

Upgrade Memebers sequentially --> Service outage

mr_white
Techie
3519     0

Hi,

In the lab, I have one GM und two Members (DNS). Members are in a sepparte upgrade group and the option is "Upgrade Members: Sequentially").

As far as I tested in the lab when I have done the upgrade, first GM is upgrading and then member 1. After the update is done and member1 and its rebooting, member 2 is going down for upgrade. Now I have the issue, because until DNS Service is up on member 1 I have no DNS Services in my GRID. Is that standard behavior? Should not member 2 wait until DNS Service is up an reachable on member 1?

Thanks.

Re: Upgrade Memebers sequentially --> Service outage

SFallon
Techie
3519     0

I have had something similar this morning during a NIOS upgrade from 8.0.6 to 8.0.7. We lost external resolution and had no internet access for a minute or so.

Checked the logs and there were 2 alrets at the time of outage.

The NTP service resumed synchronization state changed from 16 to 15

and

An Apache softare failure has occured.

Spoiler
Smiley Frustrated

Expert
3519     0

I seem to remember coming across this too, but if the appliances are HA then it's not really a problem. However if you don't have HA then have you tried putting each DNS member into a separate group? I seem to remember there are more scheduling options available if you use separate groups.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

mr_white
Techie
3519     0

Sorry to not mentioned it, the two members are no HA. And you're right with HA there souhld be definitly no outage. Actualy I though also with "Sequentially Upgrade" there's no outage.

Expert
3519     0

I think that would make the upgrade process too complicated, if the sequential process had to wait for DNS to be available before proceeding to the next member, how would it handle cases where the DNS service is disabled? Also what criteria would it use to check DNS is available? The service might be up and running but it may take some time to load all the zones if there are hundreds of thousands of them. Also does it need to check DHCP is up too? What about NTP? There's just too many variables to play with, so you need to use upgrade groups if you don't have HA and want to prevent any outages occuring.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
3519     0

As servers complete the upgrade process, they rejoin the Grid and go online, signaling that the next server can proceed with its upgrade.

Protocol services can take varying amounts of time to completely startup and this is not factored into the upgrade process; however, this would be a good enhancement and is something that can be taken into considuration for product development. Anyone interested in this capability should open a case with Infoblox Support asking for this so that this can be tracked and prioritized.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You