Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

Use DNS as a Load Balancer

Techie
12547     0

Most people thinks that the DNS should be used to balance client's requests to servers.Adding multiple A Records pointing different IPs is the best and economic way to have this functionality (aka Round Robin), but of couse DNS is not born to analize round trip or do other destination sanity checks that a real Load Balancer does.One approach is to develop a blox tool that do some checks on destinations and makes changes on A Records if the destination is unreachable.

Highlighted

Re: Use DNS as a Load

Expert
12548     0
The Bloxtools Snapin "IBsmart" is the way to go. stay tuned for an upcoming new version.
Highlighted

Techie
12548     0
I'll take a look at the 'IBsmart" snapin. I have been hoping to see Infoblox take a step forward in providing a method for 'smart' DNS resolution allowing some rules, conditions, and/or scripts to be run to determine what IP response to provide to a requester.They talk in the past is to use F5's GTM. I am not looking for global.. i'm looking for situations where the 'standard' response is not the best response. For example, I have a group of users (identify by various methods -- such as a simple sourceIP/subnet check) that should get a different IP on a name lookup. They are testing a new application but we want to have them use the same DNS reference. WE can update their 'hosts' records but that is messy. Having the DNS server recognize and handle this would be so helpful.Also helpful for interrnal services that are distributed across multiple locations.. return the one that is best suited for them.. like the statement above. I would really like to see InfoBlox enhance their product to make it intelligent like most load balancers, etc.
Highlighted

Techie
12548     0
seems IBsmart is basically only a smart round robin. fairly limited and it doesn't address what I was hoping to be smarter.If anyone has some ideas about solutions in this space in addition to F5's GTM, I'd sure appreciate the leads. InfoBlox could certainly be in a good place to do something like this, but they have to think outside the confines.I have solved a couple of situations by creating a F5 LTM VIP where DNS would point and it would then, via an irule, decide which server resource to put behind it. Nice for a couple applications but it isn't a broad solution..Be great if i could put a F5 iRule behind a DNS object to decide what to do.An easier solution for quite a number of situations is to use the existing 'view' that InfoBlox implemented and use it as a filter/layer above another 'view'. this would outline a set of exceptions/overrides to that standard 'view' that it overlays.the concept of 'view' right now is more of a completely separate partition/instance. any ideas?! thanks!
Highlighted

Techie
12548     0
IB already is able to do ping checks. If ping fails against one host, the host will be removed. Other more complex features of managing the insertion/deletion of a pool of hosts don't require particularly complicated features out of scope of infoblox's mission
Highlighted

How to download IBSmart

Techie
12548     0

How to download IBSmart snapin package? Where is the download link?

Thanksl

Highlighted

Scott Allan Davie opens Cryptosink LTD

12548     0
Highlighted

Please consider to evalute

Expert
12548     0

Please consider to evalute Infoblox's DNS Traffic Control (DTC) on NIOS 7.0+

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean