Accepted Solution

Virtual Appliances not joining grid NIOS version 8.2.2-363203 as GMCs

Authority
3147     0

I have downloaded VMs appliances and am setting up test grid.  Grid Master set up.  I can join grid members without any problems.  They are IB-VM-1410s.  The reporter connected it is a IB-VM-1400.  The Grid master is a IB-VM-4010.  The NIOS is 8.2.2.-363203.  I am using temp licenses.  I have tried pretty much everything.  Another setting is the fact we have to use cc_mode.  The error is Failure to contact Master:  wrong IP or node was not added at the master.  The Gui has the node entered.  I have reset these machines a bunch of times.  I even reset the grid master and started the grid over.  We tried to set up an HA pair at first but after all the resets (all| database| etc)  the HA settings should be gone.   So more in the morning.  I am hosted on VMWare

Re: Virtual Appliances not joining grid NIOS version 8.2.2-363203 as GMCs

Authority
3148     0

The machines not joining are the IB-VM-4010 as grid master candidates

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
3148     0

In the Grid where you are trying to join these new appliances, navigate to the Grid -> Grid Manager -> Members tab and edit the properties for the new Grid members that you are trying to join. In the General tab, verify that the Member Type dropdown menu is set correctly. Since these are virtual appliances, this must be set to Virtual NIOS.

If you continue to see any issues, contact Infoblox Support for assistance in troubleshooting your issue.

Regards,

Tony

Authority
3148     0

The VNIOS is set.  I thank you for the reminder.  Actually because I I forget so much, I have seen on the 1400s the member type mismatch error a lot.  I go edit the type, and voila the 1400s join.  The 4010s is not so clear.  The type is vNIOS and it keeps coming back with the same error.  Failed to contact the master: Wrong IP or node was not added at the master.  So I am thinking.   I am using temp licenses so the 90 day clock is always clicking.  I built this grid and moved the 2 machines in question to another grid.  I added 2 IB-VM 4010 brand new appliances to replace them.   these are the 2 having the problems.  We started over on the IB-VM-4010 gridmaster by reset all.  The Reporter VM which is a 4000 joined back.  The IB-VM-1410s joined back in.  Right now I am going to create a mini grid with the 2 persnickty machines and see if the will even join a grid.  More to follow.  And thank you for replying.  We are waiting for our support contract to renew so I will reach out to support when we have a support contract again.

Community Manager
3148     0

Pay close attention to the network settings as well, especially the subnet mask. It's easy to make a mistake with that and if what the appliance uses does not match with what you set in the Grid Manager, you will see this failure. The error could be on either side (in the Grid Manager or on the appliance itself).

Good luck!

-Tony

Authority
3148     0

Thank you I am sharing my experience becasue virtual is a brave new world. 

Authority
3148     0

More from the Virtual Lab.  I was able to make a mini grid with the two reluctant IB-VM-4010s after one of them went into continus reboot mode.  I had to go to the emergency prompt and reset all.  Then it rebooted a couple of more times and then I was able to join it as a gmc with the other reluctant machine being the grid master.  I am going to leave it like that for a few days and see if I can add them to the grid I was trying to add them to.  I am paying attention to the IP addresses and subnet masks.   Some other observations are if it is a type mismatch it will error and tell you quickly.  If their is license problem it does the same, it will error within seconds.  The error I was getting took 10 minutes to tell me.  My spider sense thinks that this is really a timeout error.  

So even though I have not received an answer as to why the two 4010's would not join.  I think the answer is that sometimes the configuration gets corrupted in some way and an emergency reset all allows a fresh start.

Community Manager
3148     0

The join failures could have happened due to multiple reasons and troubleshooting this would require a review of the logs from the systems in question. Infoblox Support would be able to help with providing RCA.

Regards,

Tony

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You