Accepted Solution

Why would you assign different views of the same zone to different name servers?

Guru
1603     0

Hi;

Why would you assign different views of the same zone to different name servers as a recommended practice. Isn't this in negation of the value of DNS views?

Kindly

Wasfi

Re: Why would you assign different views of the same zone to different name servers?

Adviser
1604     0
Redundancy.

Dns views in very simple terms can be described as different dns servers within the same bind. Imagine a senario where this bind instance is down, either administratively or some other reasons.the alternative server helps.

Hope this helps

Re: Why would you assign different views of the same zone to different name servers?

Expert
1604     0

I have done this - normally it is because you want the zone to have different content based on where the client queries are coming from.

If queries are coming from the Internet, you will want to put all your publically accessible IP's in an "external" view on the DNS servers deployed for handling external inbound queries (eg in a DMZ).

However clients "inside" the network might want to reach the same services using internal IP addresses, so they don't go out the firewall to the external IPs - so you deploy another "view" containing all your internal IP's to the internal DNS servers.

I also had a customer who deployed a third copy of the same zone, this time for 3rd party partners, who came in via a different method and via a different firewall using different destination NAT addresses than the internal/external IPs, so we had yet another view for them.

Having different views can get confusing, but it is a really powerful feature if done right.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

Demo: Infoblox IPAM plug-in integration with OpenStack Newton