Infoblox Exchange Cybersecurity Roadshow 2020 – Join us!
North America | Europe | Middle East/Africa | Asia-Pacific

DNS DHCP IPAM

Accepted Solution

Would installing/updating licenses trigger a service restart or appliance reboot?

sonnyf
Techie
2935     0

I initially assumed that installing licenses did not entail a service restart or appliance reboot.  But recently when I installed vNIOS license in a lab virtual appliance, it got rebooted.  So I am wondering, for each different license installed, will there be an appliance reboot, or for each license renewed, will there be a service restart or appliance reboot?  It would be good to have a general list posted of configuration tasks or activities that trigger a restart of services or reboot of appliance.

regards,

Sonny

Re: Would installing/updating licenses trigger a service restart or appliance reboot?

Expert
2936     0

Hello sonnyf,

When you first apply a vNIOS license, the appliance will reboot. Once the vNIOS license is applied, you will not need to reapply it (vNIOS, Grid and DNS/DHCP licenses are permanent) unless you need to redeploy the virtual appliance.

Grid and service licenses require the restart of the UI only. There is no service disruption in this case.

The other services that require a member restart (the list might include other items)

Restore (Backup and snapshot)

Network interface changes

Regards,

Paulo

Re: Would installing/updating licenses trigger a service restart or appliance reboot?

sonnyf
Techie
2936     0

Thanks Paulo, that is helpful.  When you mentioned other services, does that include the other licenses, i.e. rpz, load balancing, MS.  I'm most interested with the activation of MS management license (e.g. does that restart DNS?).  The customer, due to a tight change schedule and long purchasing process, would like to install a temp_license, then apply a permanent license later on and would like to understand impact of renewal.

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
2936     0

Updating the Microsoft Management license will not effect the DNS service. When they install the temp license (assuming that it has not already been installed), they will need to log out and back in before they will be able to see that feature in the GUI but that's the extent of the impact for updating that license.

sonnyf
Techie
2936     0

Starting in 7.2 Admin Guide, Appendix H provides a list of configuration tasks that require service restart.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You