Infoblox Exchange Cybersecurity Roadshow 2020 – Join us!
North America | Europe | Middle East/Africa | Asia-Pacific

DNS DHCP IPAM

Accepted Solution

adding a name PTR

veaceslav
Techie
4504     0

hello,

what's the trick to adding a record like this:

lb._dns-sd._udp.0.0.152.10.in-addr.arpa.  PTR example.org

throught he gui?

keep getting "Invalid IP address or name." when i enter this part in the name field: lb._dns-sd._udp.0.0

thanks,

slava

Re: adding a name PTR

Moderator syam
4505     0

Hi Slava,

From the example given, it doesn't look like a standard reverse mapping zone/PTR record.  I believe you are trying to create an RFC2317 prefix zone and corresponding records. If so the below KB would be helpful.

https://support.infoblox.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/315/kw/%2F23 

Regards,

Syam.

veaceslav
Techie
4505     0

Syam, thank you.

This record is required for airprint service discovery. There is a high level description of this technique in rfc6763 (section 11). The zone in my case is "152.10.in-addr.arpa" and what I'm looking to do is add a ptr for the subnet IP (10.152.0.0 in my case) with a few extra characters to the left and point it to a domain name.

The RR would be:

lb._dns-sd._udp.0.0.152.10.in-addr.arpa. PTR example.org.

which as far as I understand is a legitimate name. Bind let's me add it to the zone and I was hoping to do the same in infoblox (nios 8.0.7) since that's where this zone lives in our case. Here is bind responding with that record:

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu <<>> @localhost lb._dns-sd._udp.0.0.152.10.in-addr.arpa ptr +noall +answer
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
lb._dns-sd._udp.0.0.152.10.in-addr.arpa. 300 IN PTR example.org.

any ideas how I might do this?

AMani Community Manager
Community Manager
4505     0

Hi veaceslav,

Did some further testing and research and found that currently NIOS does not support DNS-SD. We already have a feature request RFE-3873 for supporting DNS-SD. Please contact your Account Team to prioritize this feature request.

Regards

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You