Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

need to delete ns record auto created by add zone

Techie
6699     0

Hello Guys

I have a NS record associated to an old server (that was decomissed) that I need to delete. Do you know how is it possible? This record was used on a zone that was already removed and I'm not able to delete just this record.

Thank you in advance.

Highlighted

Re: need to delete ns record auto created by add zone

Authority
6700     0

If you are sure that the zone to which the entry was associated is gone, then in order to remove the incorrect record.

General option: use cli command to correct all auto-created NS/A records as follows:

Infoblox > set maintenancemode <ENTER> this will not create any service interuption 

Maintenance Mode > set dns-auto-gen check <ENTER>
scanning for auto-created resource records...

Once this command is running, hitting 'q' will cancel it. You must page through the output screens to successfully complete this command.

Maintenance Mode > set dns-auto-gen renew <ENTER>
scanning for auto-created resource records...

Once this command is running, hitting 'q' will cancel it. You must page through the output screens to successfully complete this command.

Maintenance Mode >EXIT

Thank You

PK

Highlighted

Techie
6700     0

DANGER DANGER DANGER..  well beware of that utility.... while it fixes some things it has broken others for us...

we had this same situation where an old box was not removed.. so support said to run the utilty to do that....   

there HAS to be a way to remove these without running that utility..

But in addition, the utility ADDED 'A' records for our LAN2 interface that is serving DNS.. But the options set did not have that checked and it should not have added it.

then we also have RPZ zones defined.  It removed the NS records for that....

overall a utility that breaks more than it fixes .. at least in our use situation....

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
6700     0

@BHanson

I am sorry to hear that running this command caused an issue to your environment, I hope that support was able to correct the issue in a timely manner. If not, feel free to let us know and we'll address it as soon as possible. We have addressed some core issues with the underlying code in NIOS 8.1.0 and later. You can get the latest version on https://support.infoblox.com under the downloads section.

In general commands in maintenancemode can have a significant impact and should only be used when instructed by support. Luckily there is a diagnostic "set dns auto-gen check" which will show all the changes that would be made when you run "set dns auto-gen renew". This does not excuse us from causing any service impact and we will work to resolve any problems that arise.

It is impossible to modify these records through any other means as they are based on member setting. When you configure a zone and assign a member to serve it we will look at the configured member interfaces correlate that with dns views and which interfaces are set to serve DNS.  Some bugs were discovered in NIOS 7.2 and NIOS 7.3 code but they have all been addressed in current releases.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You