ping before OFFER - anyone reduce below 1 second or eliminate?

Authority
2696     0

I'm curious whether anyone has ever reduced or eliminated the ping before OFFER.

We've always assumed that it would not be good to eliminate the ping though the stock Windows filtering of ICMP echo makes it pretty useless for Windows devices.  (We're a University so the vast majority of devices are not under our control to remedy this.)

Thanks, Scott

Re: ping before OFFER - anyone reduce below 1 second or eliminate?

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
2697     0

Most clients will send out an ARP broadcast to confirm that the IP is free prior to accepting it so the risk for turning this option off would be fairly minimal. The downside to doing this is if the client gets a response back to its ARP broadcast, it may report an IP conflict to the user and this tends to foster calls to the support desk, even though the client would have most likely already received a free IP by the time the user even acknowledges the warning.

If you do decide to go this route, it would be useful to run regular discoveries against the subnet so that you can identify clients who may be using an IP which should not be (e.g. the DHCP server did not assign them the IP). This would allow you to take steps to remediate that so that you can help reduce the occurrence of IP's being abandoned.

Re: ping before OFFER - anyone reduce below 1 second or eliminate?

Authority
2697     0

Thanks but I was hoping to hear from folks who have actually done this.  I'm aware of the technical details of how clients are supposed to behave but was looking for on-the-ground experience to be better prepared.  Since the option is an all-or-nothing per grid member it isn't easy to add it incrementally or on a test basis.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You