vNIOS Setup using Mgmt & LAN1

wsiddiqi
8540     0

Hi folks

I am newbie trying to understand  vNIOS running on a VM. I am trying to install with a simple setup.

I want a MGMT interface to be able to login to the vNIOS UI and manage it via a 172.x network

and I want to use the LAN1 which is connected to the interface where the DHCP/DNS requests will come in via a 8.x network

I've gone thru the install guide as well as teh DDI Deployment Guide but I cant get this working.

On install, it only asks for LAN1 config. I give it a 8.x address etc. How do I now configure the MGMT interface on vNIOS so I can login via UI and manage the DDI features?

Appreciate any pointers

thanks

was

Re: vNIOS Setup using Mgmt & LAN1

wsiddiqi
8541     0

Got this working in a slightly different way. Adding it here for future newbies

I ended up using LAN1 for main UI access etc and LAN2 for client serving interface for DHCP/DNS.

In the System DHCP properties in DHCP, you can check LAN2 to support DHCP Interface. I didnt know about this. I had to enable DHCP Interface on LAN2.

The other thing that helped me debug this was having a CLI interface into VNIOS via ssh.

show network was showing both LAN1 and LAN2 networks but  show interface was only showing LAN1 and not showing LAN2 interface setup. That indicated to me my interface setup in the VM was not coming through.

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
8541     0

Sorry for the late response, I am only now seeing this. With regards to this setup, what you described is correct. The LAN2 and MGMT interfaces are not enabled in NIOS by default.

This is more apparent for a physical appliance as the setup is only configured in one place (NIOS), whereas for virtual appliances, there may be multiple places that you have to touch in order to get this to work. The basic workflow for a virtual appliance (assuming VMware) is as follows:

1. Make sure that four network interfaces are attached to the appliance VM (Note: for public cloud, such as AWS and Azure, two NIC's (for LAN1 and MGMT) must be assigned to the appliance).
  2. When enabling NIC redundancy, the NIC's for the LAN1 and LAN2 interfaces must be placed on the same subnet. Otherwise, they must be placed on separate subnets. When using MGMT, this must be placed on a different subnet from LAN1.
  3. SSH to the appliance if it obtained an IP address using DHCP; otherwise, connect to the appliance using the console.
  4. Verify that the LAN1 interface is IP'd correctly (use the command "show network" to view the configuration, and "set network" to update the network configuration). If the applianced obtained an IP address via DHCP, you may need to connect to that IP using your web browser. This will be an https connection.
  5. Once the LAN1 interface is set correctly, you can add the LAN2 and MGMT interfaces as required.
  6. Once the LAN2 and/or MGMT interfaces are configured, you can enable the DHCP and DNS services on those interfaces (this is not enabled by default).

Even though I know you already found your solution, I hope this helps clear things up a little bit more.

Regards,

Tony

wsiddiqi
8541     0

Hi tony

thanks for the response. I wish all this was outlined in the Install guide. I went thru it several times and its not very clear.

Also for steps #5, #6, a snapshot of where to do it would be good since that is not obvious at all. Since these steps are required, I am not sure why the Install Guide does not have all these items

Once again - thanks for the response

waseem

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
8541     0

I certainly understand. The challenge here is that the install guide is intended to help you with getting started but it's difficult to fit in every possible use case in there or else it quickly becomes unwieldy, which is where the NIOS Administrators Guide comes into play. These steps are documented in detail in the NIOS Administrators Guide, and would be a good reference for you once you have installed an appliance and are looking for guidance on how to implement specific features.

Regards,

Tony

[ Edited ]
pixdrift
Techie
8541     0

Thanks for this info TTiscareno.

[ Edited ]
ramos44
Techie